Author Topic: Rat hammocks with cotton or canvas fabric  (Read 583 times)

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Rat hammocks with cotton or canvas fabric
« on: June 20, 2016, 03:02:01 PM »
 It ususlky says that fabric like cotton/flannel can be dangerous for rats as they unravel and nails could get caught in it...I have fleece/flannel hammocks and NEVER had any issues. My question is: would it be ok to make hammocks out of flannel or duck canvas fabrics ONLY? It seems better for the summer time as fleece is much warmer. Thanks for any advice.

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Re: Rat hammocks with cotton or canvas fabric
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
My boys' first hammock was made out of a random piece of cloth my mother-in-law had. They loved it and didn't seem to have any problems.

Another hammock my mother-in-law made was out of quilted fabric and it's still mostly together and loved by my boys.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 04:44:55 PM »
I have always used cotton/flannel in combination with fleece and have never had any type of injury as a result. Anything is possible, but I think the risk from cotton/flannel to rats is pretty minimal. I'd be more concerned about batting as it can pull into tiny fibers that snag and wrap around things, so that would be riskier, but ordinary cotton and flannel should be pretty safe. I do know that woven fabrics cannot be used for chinchillas, however, as many chinchilla sites talk about the risk of impaction if the chin chews the fabric. Supposedly, everything has to be seamless as well - although I would think that if a chinchilla chews the fabric, they will get to the seams whether they are visible or not. (I've never had chinchillas, so I can't verify any of this, but I made some hammocks for a friend with a chin and so I did the research and tried to make them as safe as possible). But since rats do not actually eat/swallow what they chew, cotton and flannel are thought to be relatively safe for rats.

I have never tried to make hammocks without a layer of fleece, but I know what you mean about the warmth. You can pretty much hang any piece of cloth as a hammock, so I don't see any harm, but they may not last as long if you have chewers. Is duck canvas washable? I have only used it to make things that don't need washing (eg, my husband's Steelers iPad sleeve), so I haven't tried to wash them.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »
Yes duck canvas can be washed. Another advantage would be that anything cotton would wash more easily when it comes to urine. Urine forms crystals that attach to the fabric and aren't easily washed away in fleece as they attach more easily/deeper to the fleece fibers than to cotton fibers. It might be less comfortable though...I think I will just try it and see how my rats like it:) Thanks
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:47:03 PM by ILoveMyRatties »