Author Topic: Rather unfortunate situation...need suggestions!!  (Read 1217 times)

Offline AstridBeatrix

• Posts Too Much!
Rather unfortunate situation...need suggestions!!
« on: June 21, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »
My neighbor (S) down the street had a roommate. Didn't have her on a lease (the first problem). (I was helping care for her husband, but he recently passed away (somewhat unrelated).
Her roommate changed her phone number and moved out, she is totally unreachable, was fired from her last job. She left her two cats (moved out four weeks ago). 

My neighbor (S) has been trying to care for them, but since her husband passed away, she can no longer do that financially.  She had enlisted me to help her find a home...as she was threatening to just throw them out on the street. 

I asked Bonnie L Hays shelter about the situation ( I figured I've volunteered there and they do an awesome job for homes), and they said that they don't deal with roommate issues, and that they don't deal with household abandonments...but if they came from an apartment, that would be a different story (they were rather very mean and rude, I'm just trying to help).  They said technically since the roommate abandoned them, and they weren't on a lease, they would become the homeowners responsibility, and they said to call a zillion other places looking for homes for said cats. They said that I could speuter them on put them out on the street. (They are indoor cats!) The room they were left in isn't really the best situation.  I've called Cat's Cradle Rescue and provided lots of pictures and with as much knowledge as I could (hardly any).

Is there anything else I can do? Can I legally find them homes or is it the homeowner's responsibility (who put it on me to help her)?  I don't want to get myself in huge trouble, it is just a horribly messy situation.  I've been going over there and feeding them and changing their litter.

What would be the best course of action?

Current bubs: Trogdor the Ratinator, Tofu, Spoons and Bradley

Winston, Nyssiri, Phoebe, Ljubica, Freya, Kizonhe, Astrid, Beatrix and O'Xana Play hard!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Rather unfortunate situation...need suggestions!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
If the cats have been abandoned, I would say that you have the right, perhaps even the responsibility, to take"ownership" and do as you see fit.  It certainly sounds as though there is one else in the situation willing to take responsibility for these poor kitties.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  3m3f19r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »
Have the homeowner put them out "on the street" in carriers.  Then "rescue" them as strays.  Then they're yours to do with as you please.

If the roommate left and changed her number, then she's not coming back.  And if she does, she'd have to prove ownership of the cats, which, if they weren't even neutered, she likely doesn't have any vet records or anything on them.

Why do people suck so much?

Offline AstridBeatrix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »
They are both adorable and bonded to each other. One is a male... Looks to be neutered, he is totally black with green eyes.  The female is a siamese-mix. Doesn't like car rides. Both look to be will taken care of.

I wish I could take them, but I need to fix up my house before I take on any more pets. Should I be calling more cat rescues? I went to six places, and none would take them  :-[

*note: S found the person on FB, and told her her cats will be put up for adoption*

Winston, Nyssiri, Phoebe, Ljubica, Freya, Kizonhe, Astrid, Beatrix and O'Xana Play hard!

Offline RandyMiller

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:45:51 AM »
Can you share some pictures of the cats?
Pet Supplies Plus

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 09:55:09 AM »
Cat abandonment is a terrible problem, and has been worse since the financial meltdown of 2009. I got laid off my executive job and evicted from our huge cushy apt, and 401(k) loans I had spent on Steve's medical bills became taxable income plus penalty tax.  I had no luck with as many rescues as we had--even in east harlem, i could only take our dog and two cats with us. I had horrible luck with all rescues--even rescues for whom we were fostering and with whom we had written agreements would not take the foster cats back. I even offered to pay part of my settlement for their care and they wouldn't take them.

I found homes for most. It was a nightmare. The worst was the elderly sickly cat. Her temperament was such that we did not believe she could cope with a move let alone a shelter.   
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline AstridBeatrix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »
I can share pictures of the cats when I get home today, they are on my phone, but my phone is on my couch (I'm at work).
The rescue I'm working with (Cats Cradle in OR) still hasn't gotten back to me yet, though they said they will start working on it soon.  Bonnie Hays still won't help.  I'm thinking of having my husband go in there with the cats (as they haven't seen him yet...I've been in there twice.) 

Offline AstridBeatrix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 12:35:19 AM »
This is the female cat.  Both cats were not left with a collar, so I do not know their name or any of their info.  She does have an attitude though. Lots of hissing and not happy sounds (I totally understand with the circumstance, I wouldn't be very happy either!) Both seem to be healthy.
Their living habitat is not the greatest.  They were abandoned in one room offset from the house.

The black cat is male.  He is a snugbug, total rag doll, so sweet.  Didn't care that I put him in a carrier to whisk him away to a hopeful home (still looking!) on a car ride for 2+ hours with my friend, TheDML. Very talkative. Possibly a year old. I wish I could take him, but I have rats and I need to fix up my house before I get any more pets :(

Do you know of anyone in Oregon that would love two cats that need a home/or a rescue that would be willing to help?

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 09:01:29 AM »
They are BEAUTIFUL!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline AstridBeatrix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:09:42 AM »
Both found homes yesterday in Beaverton, OR!

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »
That's great!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »
I'm glad!  :)