Author Topic: Very pregnant girl could use a save, pet store in CT  (Read 966 times)

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
Very pregnant girl could use a save, pet store in CT
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:10:36 PM »
I know we're not supposed to "save" rats from pet stores.  I get it.  Also, my partner has also said no more rats, which I completely respect.  However, that doesn't mean I can't post the info here and hope someone else does it.  ;) 

There is currently a healthy-looking but ultra pregnant rat at the Wallingford All Pets Club.  She's clearly due any day.  She's in with a half dozen adult males, and it's breaking my heart.  Hopefully someone can help her.

I've had animal control go after another branch of this pet store before, so I stop by when I'm in the area to check the rats.  They all appear pretty healthy (though I'd treat for mites to be safe if you got her) and they had ample food and water, which is an improvement over some past visits at other branches. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:16:59 PM by erbusbee »

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Very pregnant girl could use a save, pet store in CT
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
She's not in the small animal section, but closer to the birds & puppies, in the tank of fancy rats.  Hoodie.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:17:53 PM by erbusbee »

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 08:33:11 PM »
She's not in the small animal section, but closer to the birds & puppies, in the tank of fancy rats.  Hoodie.  I'll happily donate for vet bills if someone can help her.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 05:39:43 PM »
The store should separate her. The males will kill all the babies and get her pregnant again within a few days if not sooner:( I hope someone is able to talk some sense into the manager. Is there a rat rescue around that could talk with a manager so the rats are better cared after? I'm usually against "saving" rats from a pet store because it isn't saving, just making it worse by increasing the demand...however, this is a particular case that I hope someone can do something about it.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 06:23:54 PM »
Do you have a pic? If anything, please leave a bad review of the store on Yelp, google map...to let people know how badly they treat their animals. It could make them rethink their care of the animals they are selling. So sad.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 06:33:49 PM »
Ok I just called the store. They said they always keep a female with many males  because they are breeding colonies...I explained the risks and the guy said that the males usually help with the babies  :( so wrong. Anyway, he said that he was going to look at the female right now and pull her out into a separate cage. I hope she is going to be ok. But what you saw is what they do all the time apparently :( 

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 10:46:24 PM »
Thank you for calling, what a frustrating situation. 

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »
Unfortunately they do that all the time. The only way to help is to get people to stop shopping there and hopefully they will close the store. Maybe if a few more people complain and call or better go there to complain, they will stop doing it but I doubt it; they will still do it in the back room where no one is watching. You wouldn't have helped by buying the rat, they will have replaced her with another female rat the same day.