Author Topic: Cage with small door?  (Read 815 times)

Offline Bathos

Cage with small door?
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:21:32 AM »
I'm looking for an awesome rat cage.  I've been thinking about the critter nation cages, but I was wondering if they have a small, less-than-entire-cage door.  I have a 5 year old who loves the rats, but she would be all up in their space with something that opens the whole cage to her enthusiastic little hands.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Cage with small door?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »
No. They only have the full doors on the front.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
The two most popular cages seem to be the Critter Nation and Martin's cages. The biggest reason some people seem to prefer the CN cage to the Martin's is because Martin's cages don't have full-sized doors. Being that this is actually the opposite of your desires, maybe a Martin's is the way to go! The R-680 and R-685 are great for two rats but the R-695 might be better if you have three or if you just want the pair to have more space (or the R-699 if you've got a big mischief!). There's a great photo thread of Martin's cages here.

Another cage that's a little more similar in style to the Critter Nation without the double doors is the Prevue Hendryx 495. It's a little smaller than the single unit CN. There are a number of things that I don't like about this cage compared to either Martin's or Critter Nation, but overall it seems to be pretty nice. Here's a really helpful video review of it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:58:44 PM by Michael C »

Offline Bathos

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 01:49:35 PM »
Thanks!  I was hoping for a cage with big doors and at least one small door.  Now I'm not sure the FN would be good for us due to cleaning concerns.  (I have never had a cage without a big bin of litter at the bottom). I wish I were handy enough to make one myself!  (Tried that.  It did not work well)

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »
Midwest, who makes Critter Nation cages, also makes bird cages, some of which have smaller openings.  Those may work for you.

Offline raindear

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 04:59:24 PM »
Some people choose to get Bass pans: http://www.bassequipment.com/foundations/store/scresults.asp?category=230*Cage_Pans for their CNs or FNs to use bedding with. Most suggest painting galvanized pans or getting stainless pans.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 05:29:35 PM »
Bass pans or Home Depot cement mixing tubes. I use both. I use storage boxes from Walmart for the half shelves. I use Aspen and it is the best litter I have ever tried. I HATED fleece liners and other liners you have to wash, not good for rats delicate respiratory systems.

Offline iguanagirl5639

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 01:36:42 AM »
The cages I have are
2 rat manors I think their from petco?
2 kaytee ferret cages
1 living room series pet cage
1 frisky ferret cage
1 all living things penthouse.
1 smaller wire cage with metal base, not sure of brand.
5 rat starter kit cages.