Author Topic: Best bedding to minimize Odor?  (Read 814 times)

Offline iguanagirl5639

Best bedding to minimize Odor?
« on: July 09, 2016, 02:07:11 AM »
In trying to find the best bedding to minimize odor. I have a lot of rats and I'm constantly cleaning cages. Literally every other day. Its getting expensive and stressful, but I love these guys and want the best for them.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Best bedding to minimize Odor?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:03:35 AM »
Can't say what is best - I use liners of fleece and furniture pad, but I have never used litter based bedding except in litter boxes, so I can't compare. However, two things that I find very helpful are keeping the rats in a larger cage than necessary - so that the cage is only half full - and using an air purifier with a HEPA filter to remove dust, allergens and debris from the air and with a carbon pre-filter to remove gases, ammonia, and odor from the air.

Hope you find a bedding solution that works for you.

Offline iguanagirl5639

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »
My cages are not close to full capacity but I'm still having to clean almost every other day. I tried fleece liners but the rip them to shreds, even though they have plenty of toys and things to keep them busy.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 07:30:40 PM »
From all the options I tried, Aspen is the best bedding to minimize odor, and fleece liners (with or without Uhaul pads) is the worst.

Offline iguanagirl5639

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 10:35:25 PM »
I'm using aspen right now an between the rats and ferrets my pet rooms reek

Offline Kipzee

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
I use Aspen a lot because it's low price and has decent odor control. The issue with Aspen I find is it has very limited absorbing abilities and because of this it needs to be changed often. If I use only Aspen in my bunny litter boxes without some pine pellets mixed in to help absorb urine it needs to be changed daily/every other day or the smell of ammonia becomes very noticeable.

You could try mixing a paper pelleted bedding with the aspen. That or spot clean "high traffic" potty areas often.  :wave2:
Always in my Heart :heart: At the Bridge Furkids

Offline iguanagirl5639

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »
Like yesterday's news or carefresh?

Offline Bathos

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 12:57:09 AM »
I've struggled with this for a couple of decades.  The best one I found is care fresh, but it's expensive.  (I have not tried aspen, so I can't say how it compares).  The next best was pine shavings with chlorophyll.  I stopped using that a long time ago once I found out how bad it is for their breathing.  Cat and horse bedding worked, but it looked uncomfortable to walk on.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
Like yesterday's news or carefresh?

Personally, I don't care for either of these products.

Yesterday's News is not just made from recycled newspaper. It's actually made with 30-50% sawdust (hard & softwoods). Softwoods like pine and cedar should, of course, be avoided. Products like Exquisicat and Fresh News still advertise themselves as being made solely from recycled paper. They do, however, also contain baking soda. Baking soda can be harmful for rats if ingested in large quantities (not really a big concern with the small amounts used in litter). Some are concerned that baking soda can make the product "dusty". Being that the pellets are quite self-contained, I'm not personally overly worried about this.

There's another paper pellet litter called Okocat that I haven't yet tried but it is actually made from blank paper as opposed to recycled newsprint (which may have chemicals like petroleum in the ink) and it looks like they don't add baking powder either. I don't know how readily available it is, though. If it has to be ordered online I'll probably just to stick with Fresh News in my boy's litter boxes.

I used to use Carefresh but I thought it was too expensive and too dusty.

At the moment, I'm using Exquisicat paper cat litter (fragrance free) as a loose bedding substrate. It's basically just the pellet litter slightly ground up. I'm not 100% happy being that it is still a little dusty but it's pretty good with odors. I just found a local retail source for Eco Bedding but this might get expensive with as many cages as you have.