Author Topic: Baby toys are great rat toys  (Read 922 times)

Offline Bathos

Baby toys are great rat toys
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »
In trying to show my daughter how to interact with the rats I took some of her kid toys off the shelf and let them explore.  They loved it!  They especially loved the weeble house and the fisher price barn.  It got me thinking there are a lot of plastic, easy to clean kids toys out there with lots of holes little rats can poke their heads out and often multiple levels to play with.  Kids thrift stores often have them at bargain prices too!  For those who don't have young children you might want to check in your local thrift store for fun toys like that.

Offline raindear

Re: Baby toys are great rat toys
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
I've been doing this for years. It's my first stop in any thrift store I visit. I especially like the noise making toys like the barn. When I hear a cow "moo" I know the rats are playing. And the rats don't care if the accessories or people are missing, either.

I once found a toy that was likely part of a larger toy that they loved. It was a clear plastic dome over a colored base with a button in the base. There was an opening in the front, top, and back of the dome and when the button was pushed, music played. I put it in the cage and went about my business. Later I heard the music and then heard the scampering of little feet to the bottom of the cage. At first I thought the toy had frightened them and went to remove it. Well, there was a line of 4 rats on the ramp waiting their "turn" to start the music and race to the bottom of the cage. So cute. Unfortunately it got lost moving and since I don't know what toy it might have been part of I don't even know what to look for to try to replace it.

Offline Bathos

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 11:09:39 PM »
That's adorable!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:17:37 AM »
One of the greatest hits we've ever had in rat toys has been Bizzy Balls--the plastic lattice balls with a bell inside for cats. We have rattie basketball where I put the ball on the flat and they dunk it into an empty treat bowl. Or they carry it to the top of the ramp and drop it to roll down. Best to play that one at 2 am on Mom's nights off.  :)
--Best, Mountaintop--