Author Topic: Chinchilla  (Read 5447 times)

Offline mustang_grl143

• Rat Lover!
Chinchilla
« on: April 28, 2002, 03:38:58 PM »
Does anyone have good info about Chinchillia's I'm in california and i want a Chinchilla and I need a really good breader ;D
I wish all animals had loveing homes!

Offline Ree

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ree's Ramblings
Re:Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2002, 05:35:01 AM »
Akshilly, I've been reading bout chinchillas a bit recently....i was curious about chins and rats similarities/differences and stuff, if anyone out there has one....  

thanks  ;D
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Offline mustang_grl143

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2002, 12:25:25 AM »
I'm begining to think no one here knows anything about chinchilla's please if you know someting post
thanks ;D

Offline 6th Happiness Rodentry

• RodentFancy
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 04:41:38 AM »
Chinchillas IMHO are NOTHING like rats!

I'm in Illinosi so I dont know about breeders in CA.

But I have 5 chinchillas and occassionally breed.

They need BIG cages, such as a ferret cage or a homemage cage like a floor to ceiling sized one.  They are mountain animals (fromt eh Andes) so they need lots fo shelves and branches.  

Rats are IMHO like puppy dogs (minus the barking and need for walks).  Chinnies are like having a cross between a 2 year old and a tigger- for the next 15 to 20 years (Yes they live much longer, its a commitment liek taking on a kitten or puppy).  I swear they have springs in their butts- they get out tiem to play only in a closed off room otherwise its impossible to catch them.

Forget litter trainign them, and they think "No!" means, "please do that some more".  They are worse chewers then rats are.

Chinnies are sensitve to heat, so in summer we only let the chins out to play at night when its cooler, as in the day they can overheat much faster then a rat or most other pets would.

They are herbavors, unlike rats, and eat hay, alfalfa pellets, dried fruits, vegitables, herbs, oats etc.

they need frequent dust baths to keep their coats healthy, which means the petshops get to overcharge you for little containers of volcanic ash so that your pets can roll in it and make your house all dusty, and watch if you have a fireplace because they will cover themselves in soot!

They can be tempermental with eachother and people, makign very strong likes and dislikes about those they meet.

Now, this all said, don't be completely discouraged from a chin as a pet.  Although not "cuddly" in a huggy way, they are affectionate and can make a close bond with their people and other chins.  They live longer which to soem peopel is a plus.  They are super soft, absolutely adorable looking.  they are very playful, and interactive.  Like rats they have distinct personalities once you get to know them.  I absolutely LOVE my chinnies, and enjoy seeing others fall in love with them and get babies from my guys (they have small litters and carry fro over 3 months, because they are born fully developed, all of mine have had only 1 baby at a time, but 3 or 4 is possible).  Just be aware of what you're getting into with them, soemtimes peopel expect them to be like other small animals (guiena pigs, rats, hamsters etc) and they are not, and then theyeither get rid of them because they don't want to deal with them... or they keep them but don't give them proper care and socializing and the poor thigns are miserable.  One of our chins is a rescue from such a situation.

AG
A. Gangi
Rodentry of Sixth Happiness -=- RMFE -=- Rodentfancy
http://www.rodentfancy.com
~*~ Care for the small things and all else follows ~*~

Offline Sabrina

• Posts Too Much!
  • wanna wanna BIKKIT!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 12:34:29 PM »
I have the BEST chinchilla story:

My cousin Matt works at a pet store (he's manager actually - and he makes sure the rodents are in good condition) and he had taken a chinchilla home to see if he could calm it down a little (it had a bad habit of biting).

So one day my uncle, who works at home, gets a call on his cell phone.  It shows Matt's cell phone number, but there is no one on the other line.  So my uncle thinks the phone must have been in my cousin's pocket and got set off by accident.  But later, when my uncle goes upstairs to look at the chinchilla, Matt's cell phone had somehow fallen out of its charger into the chinchilla's cage - and the chinchilla had stepped on the phone buttons enough times to call my uncle!

So you gotta wonder who else the chinchilla called...  :)
Love, Sabrina
Forever remembered: Piper(4/19/03) Kaela(4/15/03) Ellie(5/19/02)

"You can be obsessed with remorse all your life, not because you chose the wrong thing... but because you never had the chance to prove to yourself that you would have chosen the right thing." U.Eco

mmm nicey bikkit

Offline mustang_grl143

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2002, 11:06:48 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice the more stories the better does neon know of a rescue in ca bay area