Author Topic: Homemade paper bedding.  (Read 728 times)

Offline notsaying

Homemade paper bedding.
« on: July 23, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »
Sorry to bother y'all again.
So I'm experimenting with homemade paper bedding. Right now, I just have shreds onto of sheets.
Is there anything I can add to the paper shreds to make the bedding last longer? Random: Delia quickly mastered tablecloth trick. Shortly after being put back in her cage, she pulled the sheets out from under the shreds.  :doh:

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Homemade paper bedding.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »
I wouldn't shred paper as it creates lots of dust. A crinkled paper would work better at masking smells because the poops would get under it more easily. So far Aspen is the best odor control bedding I have tried and I tried so many. Aspen is very cheap too.

Offline notsaying

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 11:50:54 PM »
I was using aspen before. I wonder if there would be anyway to filter out the dust.
Anyways, I was just experimenting because I knew someone who going to recycle a bunch of yp books. I figured it would make cheap (somewhat) Eco-friendly bedding. And if it failed no harm done.

I think I'll still use the books. She seems to like the sheets of paper.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 02:08:38 AM »
Maybe put the shredded paper in one of those big washing machine mesh bag and put it in the dryer. It is somewhat similar to what they do to some Aspen bedding to get rid of the dust...might break your dryer...Some Aspen bedding brands are pretty dusty, some aren't. My favorite Aspen bedding do far is drsfostersmith, it is filtered many times to get rid of the dust.

Offline notsaying

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »
Yeah.
I use off brand (usually Walmart or petsmart) and have always felt that they had a lot of dust. I noticed more when I was using aspen for Penny the guinea pig. To be honest, shredded paper didn't seem any more dusty than aspen.

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 12:53:47 PM »
I have a paper shredder in my office that I've used for years to destroy documents.  Unlike some shredders it cuts neatly and doesn't make any dust, so I've used that for material to put in the rats' litter box before.  My current crew failed litter box training unfortunately.  I use fleece for bedding outside of the litter box.