Author Topic: So I did a thing....  (Read 4089 times)

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
So I did a thing....
« on: July 31, 2016, 05:33:28 PM »
I got a new baby boy. I saw him at the pet store where I got my other two and he was all by himself. They had just sold the other boy this morning. My will broke and now he has a home.

I named him Irish after the tuxedo cat I grew up with. They have the same colorings. He's about 5-6 weeks old. The store got him from the breeder at about 4 weeks old. Irish is a little black and white dumbo.

Right now he's still in the box the store put him in. He's really scared right now. I put in a couple of snacks hoping he'll eat. I'm washing bedding for him and I'm just so nervous he'll do what he did when he was put in the box. He tried to escape and it was scary for everyone involved. I held him before I bought him and he was fine. He crawled up onto my shoulder.

I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

Offline MinervaThonosi

Re: So I did a thing....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 06:24:31 PM »
Husband is upset with me...

It was worth it.

I got Irish into a carrier with an old nightdress, since all the fleece is either being cleaned or is being used by the big boys. He's eaten a yogee or two and is currently burrowing under the cloth.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »
I ended up getting a flickr account, because I got tired of photobucket not working. Here's the new baby boy~

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142669405@N06/shares/E64561

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »
Just did a little test and he took a cheerio off my finger! He very carefully creeped up to my hand, sniffed both the cheerio and my fingers, paused to think and then very gently took the cheerio and ran! He is so cute!

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:00:25 AM »
Welp. Irish is not ready to be held. I foolishly decided to try it and he escaped to under the bed. As Husband and I removed stuff from under the bed I could see Irish going back and forth between us. Eventually he ran past Husband and was at my dresser. I managed to catch him, but I had to hold his tail and constantly say I'm sorry. He's back in his cage and will stay there until I feel more confident that he won't run away.  :(

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »
Do you have a ratoob? I would help him get used to you.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »
I don't.  :( Is there somewhere I could find a pattern for one? I have plenty of fabric I could use.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »
I just made a bonding pouch and stuck Tobi in it to test it out. I'm giving Irish a rest for today and might try something tomorrow. I noticed Tobi had something stuck in his fur, so he got a bath. After the bath I sat down in front of the cage and tried to towel dry Tobi. At some point I looked over and saw Irish coming over to check things out.I said hi and stuck a finger through the bars. The little boy did some little nibbles on my finger, but didn't run away. I ended up holding Tobi up to the bars and the two dumbos got to sniff each other. It was really cute.  Since Tobi didn't want to be towel dried anymore I stood up to stick him in the big boy half of the cage and ended up seeing Irish climb all the way up the back wall of his section and hop on to the shelf! This little boy's a climber!

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
Alright. Irish is more willing to interact with me through the cage bars. He's so cute. He loves cheerios and kept testing my fingers when I stuck them in. He is also fast! He makes me think of my friend's mice! Only he will take food from me while the mice won't.  :)

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 10:17:01 PM »
Oh, my gosh! Irish is using the wheel! The big boys only used it to sit on and probably to pee on as well, but Irish is actually running on it!

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 11:19:56 PM »
What I have learned today is that Irish doesn't like to be picked up. He also doesn't like my face to be too close to the cage. He's not sure about my husband and the sound of ripping paper towels summons him.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 11:41:17 AM »
Looks like you are doing some progress:)

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 09:33:05 PM »
A little.  :) Today I learned that he's not ready to be petted, but is willing to put a paw or two on my hand to get a cheerio. Irish won't give up on a treat if I hold onto it. He will keep trying to yank it from my fingers until he gets it.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 04:55:41 PM »
So it's been a week since I got Irish. Last night I had a dream that somehow he got up with the big boys and was cuddling with them and then I put Pasquale with him and they hit it off and cuddled. So on a whim I grab Pasquale and set him in with Irish. I know this isn't a proper introduction, but Irish doesn't like being picked up and is hard to catch. There was a bit of play fighting, Pasquale ate the peanut crunch-around I gave Irish last week, and they groomed each other. Irish was soooo much braver with Pasquale there. He was coming up to the open door and sniffing me. I was sooooo happy. Then I switched Pasquale for Tobi. Tobi just kept pinning Irish and power grooming. I have plans to get Tobi neutered.

So now I'm wondering if I could leave Pasquale with Irish and the big boy will help the little boy to come out of his shell?

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 08:57:42 PM »
Had some more introduction in Irish's half of the cage. He just seemed way happier with another rat in with him. He was actually pinning Pasquale, who squeaked quite a bit. I noticed that Irish seemed to be nipping Pasquale's rump, but he wasn't puffed up. Tobi was just being a big ratbutt. As soon as he saw Irish and was going over there and pinning him. It didn't look friendly, so I removed Tobi.

After that I managed to trick Irish into the bonding pouch with a cheerio. Unlike last time he was constantly sticking his nose out and sniffing. After I put him back in his cage he actually came up to me and took the cheerio I offered him.

It seems to me that introducing the little boy to the big boys made him a whole lot braver.  :hyper:

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 02:52:24 AM »
We had an introduction in the bath tub Monday. I stuck a blanket on the bottom of the tub and added a towel, a water dish, and a bunch of cheerios. I put vanilla concentrate on the boys as I put them in. It went great. Tobi did do a little power grooming, which was sometimes followed by stealing the cheerio out of Irish's mouth, but other than that they got along happily.

How many more introductions should I do before having them all together in the cage?

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »
It's getting close to a week since I put everyone together. I'm super glad I did! Irish is happy, because he's not alone anymore. Pasquale is happy, because he's no longer the only one getting picked on by Tobi. And Tobi is Tobi.

This morning when I woke up I looked and saw all three of them on the top shelf, curled up in a little line. Irish had his head on Pasquale. It was sooooo cute! :heart: Yesterday I saw Pasquale yawn and curl up to Irish. I'm so glad they get along.

Tobi is still the dominate rat. He pins them and has been licking Irish's penis a lot. At one point it almost looked like he was biting it. At another point he looked like he was licking Irish's anus. I'm sure he was going for the penis, but it was still kinda weird.

Irish got a taste of big boy food and refuses to eat his, so I have to somehow make sure he gets the protein he needs. Which is why I now have dead mealworms in the fridge. I looked at the freeze dried mealworms, but the protein percentage was 50%. Husband said no live worms and the pet store only had superworms for living worms. So I got a little can of dead mealworms. The container said it was a safe substitute to live feeding. Plus the protein percentage was way lower. The boys love them. I'm going to be giving them mealworms on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The big boys get one each, while Irish gets two. Last time I fed them I ended up giving Irish three, because I thought he dropped them and I couldn't find them. Turns out he practically inhales them. I had no idea he could eat that fast!

Irish is getting used to me. If I'm on the other side of cage bars I'm okay and fingers are interesting. When I was giving them their food today he was jumping and zooming around and leaned out the age with the big boys. He'll even take a cheerio from my lips! The little boy still isn't big on being petted or picked up, but we'll get there.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 03:07:20 PM »
Sounds like things are going great...Tobi is your alpha and as long as he doesn't instigate fights, but does powergroom and pin obnoxious little babies who need to be taught that Tobi is the MAN, then you should be fine. :)  Often scared little ones really really come out of their shell with the addition of other rats especially older ones.  :)

As for protein, he only needs a little more. What percentage is the food you are feeding now?  You could give him egg, fish or lean chicken as a meat type protein source rather than spend money on dead mealworms.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »
From what I've seen most of the time Tobi will waddle(he's kinda fat) over to Irish and pin and powergroom away. He does this with Pasquale, too. No one has gotten hurt. It's just a little annoying to wake up at 1am to squeaking and not being able to stop it. There have also been times when Husband has gotten annoyed and asked me if I was going to do anything about it. I look over and don't see any thing to worry about and tell Husband just that. I just wish I had something for Irish to hide in that the big boys couldn't get in. Right now he's favorite spot is behind the big little pan, but Tobi can shove his way back there.

Their food is 14% protein. It's Harlan Teklad Global Rat Food Pellets 2014. I've been getting 5lbs. bags off Amazon. They love it. A while before I got Irish the big boys were eating Oxbow Adult Rat Food, but I got a small bag of Harlan Teklan and put a couple pieces in their food dish and they would eat that up before eating the Oxbow.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 05:39:12 PM »
You could make a baby hide or several for Irish.  Take a poster tube (large) cut it into sections, the tape cardboard over the ends but leave a small baby sized opening on either end..somewhere for him to hide out.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 05:59:40 PM »
That's a cool idea! Thanks!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 08:11:59 AM »
My boys are big power groomers, and they make a racket doing it.  But they are having a ball, so it's nothing to worry about.  Occasionally one of the boys will get carried away, and the groomee will become seriously annoyed.  I generally intervene at that point, so it won't escalate into a real fight.

But rats are like kids; as long they're making noise, you know they're not getting into trouble.  :cheeky:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 09:35:50 PM »
Well, Irish and I just went through a little bit of hell. I decided to weight the boys. Tobi and Pasquale were fine sitting in the plastic bowl while eating a peanut treat. Irish didn't want to even touch the bowl. This caused me to get a bunch of little scratches on my hands and wrists and to hold him for longer than ever before. Eventually I put him in the bonding pouch and held it shut. I then subtracted the weight of the bonding pouch and ended up with 180g. That's probably off, but it's something to go off of. After I put him back in the cage I gave him a yogee and we were good. I'm still surprised by how he'll take a treat from me after I just scared the raisin out of him.

I'm still wondering exactly how old Irish is. He's about 8 or 9 weeks old now. I was trying to figure out when to put his birthday on my calendar and I'd like to go off of the day I got him. So I'd either put his birthday as June 19th or 26th. And because June 19th is Husband's birthday, he doesn't want to share it with Irish. Mostly because he thinks the rat might get a present, but he won't. I think that's silly. They would both get presents!

BigBen- Yeah, I just had to distract Tobi, because he had Irish pinned in the corner, behind the big litter box. Irish's squeaking changed from the usual and he really couldn't go anywhere.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
Irish is GORGEOUS! So sleek and shiny with such a fine patterned belly!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 09:12:57 PM »
Irish is GORGEOUS! So sleek and shiny with such a fine patterned belly!

I know! Every time I see his belly I can't help, but smile! :heart: His fur is so soft, too~

One thing I've noticed is that the fur on his back has white speckles. At first it wasn't his whole back, but now it is.

I've been trying to teach the boys a trick and Irish catches on so fast! I say "Up up" and hold a cheerio above them so they have to stand on their hind legs to get it. After doing this a couple time, Irish comes up to me and stands on his hind legs right away. He's so cute!  :heart: