Author Topic: So I did a thing....  (Read 4069 times)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
Re: So I did a thing....
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 09:23:34 PM »
Irish is silvering with the white hairs growing with the black

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
I love this thread! You are such a proud mama.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »
I love this thread! You are such a proud mama.

Thank you!  :BlueDumboSmile: This thread has kinda become a little blog on how Irish is doing.

My mother is coming to visit next month, so Husband and I had to clean up our room. We moved a chair that just had various things stacked on it to the attic and now the rat cage is in it's spot. Our room looks so big now! While I can't interact with the boys from my bed now they now have a wall behind them. They're also no longer in a spot where the ac could get them.

lilspaz68- So I thought about making those hideouts for Irish, but then I remembered how much Tobi likes to chew up cardboard. The baby sized holes wouldn't stay baby sized for long. :P A while a go I made a thing out of a bunch of cardboard boxes and and a hole in one that was supposed to be a like a little window, but I made it too big and Pasquale was able to slip out of it. Tobi because annoyed that he could fit through it, so he made it bigger. :P

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 06:26:34 AM »
Maybe a piece of PVC pipe with the same diameter as a tube?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 01:14:18 AM »
So I've been able to pick Irish up with only a little difficulty, so I've been giving him some more attention. Today I picked him up and sat on the bed with Husband and our laptops. I let Irish crawl on my shoulders and he sniffed away~  :heart: He then managed to climb down my back and I had to quickly snatch him up. I smiled at Husband and said, "Got him!" Husband's response was to point at that cage and say, "Put him back."

I'm pleased with our progress. I feel somewhat confident that I can do free range time on my bed with little to no problems. The only problems I see is Irish getting off the bed or being difficult to scoop and put back in his cage.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2016, 02:10:33 PM »
Give him a treat every time you put him back in the cage.  Soon he will start giving signs of wanting to go back in order to get a treat, lol!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »
BigBen- Yeah. I usually do that as a, "Sorry for what I just did to you!" Especially after looking them over or bathing them.

Well, I just sat down on my bed with Irish on my lap and he was a very good little rat. He did try to get off, but no more than the big boys would. At first when I offered him a cheerio he would take it, but drop it right away. Eventually he sat down and started to groom himself. I then offered him a cheerio and he eat it! I was very happy to see him so calm~ I put him back in the cage after he started vibrating. As soon as he was back in the cage Irish curled up in a hammock and took a cheerio from me.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 11:01:36 PM »
Irish is the most vocal out of my boys. He squeaks when he gets power groomed, when Pasquale climbs over him, and when Tobi is trying to steal food directly out of his mouth. The last one happened last night. It was the first time I had ever heard that kind of squeak before. It freaked out both me and husband. Because of all the squeaking, I had enough and Tobi now has his own half. I'm tired of jumping out of bed to try and get Tobi to leave Irish alone and it not working. I will also be able to control how much Tobi eats now.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2016, 08:14:38 PM »
Maybe Tobi needs a spayed girlfriend... Mainely Rat Rescue has lots of potential girlfriends!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 08:41:23 PM »
I'm not allowed to get anymore rat.  :P Other wise I would definitely think about it.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
I'm not allowed to get anymore rat.  :P Other wise I would definitely think about it.

Great advertising campaign--"Got rat?"

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »
XD I completely forgot the s!  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »
Everyone got a bath today. Tobi hated it, but looked whiter than before. Pasquale had his tail brushed as part of his usual bath, but it was cleaner than usual before the bath. Either Irish has taught Pasquale to clean his tail or Irish is doing it himself. It was Irish's first bath... He hated it. He squeaked when I rubbed the soap in and tried to climb out of the sink. Unlike the other two, Irish wouldn't take a treat from me until he was back in his cage.

My mom just finished her visit and is driving back to Iowa, right now. I managed to get her to be less freaked out about rats. She pet each of my boys a little bit. I think she did the best with Irish. I had the both of us sit on the bed and Irish was between us in the bonding pouch. He would stick his head out of the pouch and my mom would let him sniff her knuckles. I was very happy for her.

• Posts Too Much!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 09:41:29 PM »
So I clipped Irish's toenails for the first time today. He's not a fan of being held, so I put him in the bonding pouch and had that on my lap. He squeaked more for his back feet than his front, but he barely squirmed! I kept telling him how good he was being and way able to clip up to three or four toenails at a time! :BlueDumboSmile: I'm so proud of him!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »
Yay, Irish!  I hope he got a Yogie or two for being such a good boy! :heart:

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2016, 11:16:08 AM »
Yay, Irish!  I hope he got a Yogie or two for being such a good boy! :heart:

He did~ Of course he wouldn't take it from me until he was back in his cage. Silly boy~ :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »
So Irish is afraid of my husband. I was watching a dog for three days, so Husband had to care for the boys. I was told that every time he opened the cage door to feed or give them attention, Irish would poop. The day after I got back, I had Irish on my lap and Husband came in the room and sat down next to me and Irish flinched away from him. After Husband let him sniff his finger, Irish flinched when he took his back. Irish flinched once more when Husband spoke and then tried to escape and was very happy to be back in the cage. Poor Irish. He's still skittish.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2016, 10:20:26 PM »
I'm proud of Irish~ He let me weigh him with very little trouble today. At first he refused to stay on the scale. Then I gave him some belly kisses and he calmed down enough to stay on the scale. I don't know if it's just coincidence or if he likes belly kisses.

Late I lied down on my bed with him on my chest. He kinda sat on my collar bone and would vibrate. When he was done vibrating he started trying to find away on to the bed. He still only takes a treat from me when I put him back in the cage.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 10:08:53 PM »
Irish is so cute! Last night I had him out and held him up to a mirror so he could check himself out. He was super curious. He's also getting better at being held. The other day I clipped his nails again and he stayed in my arms and let me do it. The only time he squirmed was when I went for his back feet. Irish didn't like it when I held his leg back, so I left it as he wanted it and just held his foot. He was fine with that. He still hasn't gotten into sitting on my shoulders. So far he just perches on my chest.

On a side note, Tobi seems to be doing great by himself. I do let them be together on the bed, but in the cage he's just a big bully. Tobi hasn't changed his attitude and is, once again, gaining weight. I wish I could give them more exercise than just running on the bed, but this house isn't really rat safe. We have wires and random stuff everywhere. I tried playing with them on the floor with pieces on cardboard boxes as a playpen, but Tobi always finds a way under it.

I've also noticed buck grease on Tobi and Pasquale. Most Tobi. I move his fur so I can see his skin and I see orange. Plus after handling him I have the orange dandruff on my hands. Husband and I have been discussing having Tobs neutered, but we're having slight money problems, so that won't happen right now. Actually the first thing I'm getting the boys, when I have the money for it, is Bass pans. I tried fleece and have decided it's a pain in the butt and I miss using bedding. Husband is worried about the cost of bedding and has suggested we get the cheapest stuff possible, but I don't really like that idea. I'm also debating continuing the use of litter boxes. They don't use them as much as they used to and Irish never really learned.

Wow this was a long post... I won't be surprised if people just glance over it and I wouldn't blame them.  :mblah05:

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
I wonder if your poor boy was mistreated by a male in the past...
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 06:49:46 PM »
I wonder if your poor boy was mistreated by a male in the past...

Who knows. I got all my boys at a local pet store, but I believe Irish is from a different breeder than the other two.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
So Irish had this habit of sitting in the corner where the ramp is up, so the cage is split in two. He only does this when Tobi is right under(Husband told me he saw Irish checking to see if Tobi was there and would go elsewhere when he wasn't). Tobi messes with him and Irish squeaks. Because of that I put a piece of cardboard there and replace it when it gets too chewed up. Last night I heard a horrible scream. I grabbed Irish and checked him over. One of his toes was bleeding. I ended up getting blood on my shirt and on my chest, because he was trying to hide in my shirt. So I put Irish in the bonding pouch and took him down stairs. I then put cornstarch in a little bowl and pressed his paw in it. That stopped the bleeding and he got a bunch of cheerios. I replaced the cardboard, but I wish I had something that they couldn't chew up. I'm planning on having Tobi neutered and hoping that calms him down and everyone can be together again, so I don't want a permanent fix.  :help:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2016, 07:23:49 PM »
Back when I had a divided DCN, I covered the ramp hole with the glass from a picture frame to keep the boys and the girls apart.  (I'd heard horror stories about rats finding a way to mate through the open mesh.)  It worked pretty well, especially since I could then put fleece over the entire level.  A sheet of stiff plastic would work as well; or you might considering putting plastic liner over a  piece of cardboard to keep it from getting soggy so quickly.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2016, 01:31:24 PM »
Home Depot let me have a broken linoleum scrap for free and we use that to divide.
--Best, Mountaintop--