Author Topic: Puppy Pads Under Fleece?  (Read 919 times)

Offline DogRN

• Ritten
Puppy Pads Under Fleece?
« on: August 12, 2016, 09:40:32 PM »
Hello!

I have a DCN and an SCN. The bottom levels have Bass pans (thank goodness--so worth the investment). The shelves I have been covering with fleece and putting small towels underneath to wick up the urine. I secure them to the pan with binder clips. I have to change the shelves every 2-3 days, which is fine, but I am wondering if there is another option to put under the fleece. I basically have unlimited access to free puppy pee pads, so I have been thinking about putting puppy pads underneath the fleece. The only real concern I have would be for the times when my rats chew through the fleece to burrow underneath. It doesn't happen all of the time, but every once in a while, it does. The puppy pads are basically a thin cotton type layer with a thin plastic layer underneath.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts? I am basically hoping to cut down on laundry/potentially odor.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Puppy Pads Under Fleece?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:12:21 PM »
Puppy pads are very dangerous if your rats eat/chew them. The gel in the pads will make them sick and potential kill them. I researched the topic as I also thought it would be perfect:( The safest option I'm aware of is UHaul pads. Since you have bass oans (I do too) why not using aspen? Aspen is so much better than fleece, day and night better.

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »
I thought the same thing too but rats chew and get into things far too much to trust them. I don't even trust puppy pads with my puppy tbh.

They do have reusable puppy pads. Or even hospital pads though that may work. Same concept but it's all fabric.

Offline DogRN

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
I do have Bass pans, but only for the large pans on the bottom. The shelves still have to be lines with something unless I take them out altogether.

Thank you for the responses, it was just a thought, but if it isn't thought to be safe, then it won't be done!

Offline Bathos

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 12:04:18 AM »
I actually don't line the shelves with anything.  Every 4 days or so I take the plastic shelf, dump it outside, wash it with Dawn soap in the kitchen sink, and stick it back on the shelf underpinnings.  So far it's been about a month and that's been working well for me.  I only have 3 girls in a double CN though.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 01:14:58 AM »
I actually don't line the shelves with anything.  Every 4 days or so I take the plastic shelf, dump it outside, wash it with Dawn soap in the kitchen sink, and stick it back on the shelf underpinnings.  So far it's been about a month and that's been working well for me.  I only have 3 girls in a double CN though.

Watch out for ULCERATIVE PODODERMATITIS (bubblefoot)

Offline Bathos

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:46:54 PM »
Watch out for ULCERATIVE PODODERMATITIS (bubblefoot)

What would cause ULCERATIVE PODODERMATITIS in this case?  The wires are covered by the plastic trays and the rest of the surfaces are either bedding or hammock

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
Bubble food is caused by being an overweight rat and/or by dirty surfaces, not by wire mesh. You said that you didn't line the solid surface shelves with anything making them easily and quickly dirty and your rats will step right into it...unless of course you wipe them right away as soon as  a rat pee on them, which you a potently don't since you said you clean them only every 4 days. Not sure what wires you are referring to though since you said you had a DCN.

Offline Bathos

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 11:08:50 PM »
Hmm.  I will watch for it.  So far I've had no trouble with this and it's been a month or so.  Also, thinking back on it, I had rats for about 10 years in a smaller cage (like, 2/3 the size of the DCN) that had 4 platforms.  I only cleaned that cage weekly and NEVER had problems with bumble foot.  It did smell a bit towards the end of the week when I had 6 rats, but seemed to do OK with 4.  It is definitely something I will watch for since I have no experience with it, but so far with no lining of shelves in either cage my rats have been fine.  I would personally try it without the liners (as I am doing now) and watch for any redness or swelling on the feet.