The Dog House > Dog Care Corner

My little girl lost her sister

(1/1)

raindear:
This may run long. First, I want to explain.

I had 2 dogs, Scooter and Punkin'. They were together since Punkin' was 12 weeks old and Scooter was 6 months old. Punkin' was 12 and developed heart problems so we adopted Sugar so Scooter wouldn't be alone as he had always had Punkin'. Shortly after this, Punkin' died. Then, when Scooter was 18 years old and his health was failing, we got Peanut so Sugar wouldn't be alone. Soon after Scooter died. Through the intervening 7 years or so, I have felt that both Sugar and Peanut would prefer to be an "only child". July 20, Sugar suddenly collapsed and the vet felt at her age, 12 years and with her blood work that putting her to sleep was the best option, so that is what we did.

Now, Peanut is an "only child", but I'm not sure she is happy. I'm concerned that she is missing her sister's companionship. I don't know how to be sure, and I can't decide whether it would be a good idea to adopt a little brother or sister for her, or whether I should let her be. Does anyone have any advice as to how to tell which is best? By the way, in case it helps, Peanut is a Dachshund Chihuahua cross.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version