Author Topic: Need ideas for rat cage toys and furniture  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Mousey

• Photo Album
Need ideas for rat cage toys and furniture
« on: August 22, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
  Hello!  I have a martin's rat cage and I feel that my two rats have been getting bored in their cage lately.  They're both around 2 years old and sleep away most of their time in the cage.  Right now their cage is pretty bare: two hammocks, a hamster ball hung to the ceiling, a small perch, and a cardboard box. 
  I'm wondering what you guys use to keep your rats entertained in their cage.  I used to have some hanging link baby toys but my rats were uninterested.  I was thinking of getting more hammocks but I'd like to add something that would encourage my rats to do something other than sleep.  I know as rats get older they tend to be more lazy.  They both get plenty of free range time, however, Wilbur is losing use of his back legs so he usually tires pretty quickly.
  Any ideas of toys or climbing furniture for their cage would be greatly appreciated!  I wish I would've bought a different cage, as this one is awkward to decorate. 

Here is their cage at the moment:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/63910046@N06/29085859151/
mom of two squishy rats, Otis & Wilbur

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Re: Need ideas for rat cage toys and furniture
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:00:09 PM »
For my boy, who is only motivated by destruction, I put his food and treats into plastic Easter eggs (I stocked up during the after Easter sales this year :yelcutelaugh:)  and make him work to get it out. It takes him all of five minutes ::) His other most favorite thing ever is the tissue harvest. I cut sheets of dollar store tissue paper into strips and poke it through the sides of his cage (not a lot, just enough to grab). I restock every couple of days and he spends the next while going around, pulling it all through and carting it either to his food bowl (filled with chewed up Easter eggs) or his space pod.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Mousey

• Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:49:21 PM »
RooRat, those are great ideas!  I will have to make a stop by the dollar store soon.  My boys LOVE to bring any paper I have lying out into their cage.  I'm trying to imagine how your rat opens those easter eggs  :yelcutelaugh:  . Thanks for the ideas!  I'm sure my rats will appreciate it :D

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 08:02:18 AM »
It's not surprising that elderly rats enjoy sleeping a lot.  Don't be upset if you can't get them to be as active as they were when they were young.

This sleeping you are noticing might also be a phase.  I remember posting about my first mischief, when they were only a few months old, whether people thought that 23 hours a day was enough for them, lol!  They soon grew out of it and started zooming around again.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »
I wish I would've bought a different cage, as this one is awkward to decorate.

...just in case you hadn't already found it, here's a fantastic photo thread full of just Martin's cage set-ups. It hasn't been added to in a while but it's a treasure trove of inspiration and ideas.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:11:15 PM »
Honestly, at 2 years old, it is not unusual for rats - especially boys - to enjoy a nap more than a wheel or a climb or just about anything else. I say give them lots of hammock choices and let them chill - as long as they get out time as yours do and have a stimulating environment should they choose to use it. During free range, I like to hide treats around the room to give them incentive to explore more - but just be sure to remember where you put them in case they don't find them all!

Offline Mousey

• Photo Album
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 11:04:24 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I realize that my rats are on the older side, I'm just not use to seeing them so lazy!  They've always had more energy than the girl rats I had years ago.

I will definitely check out that link, Michael C, thank you!

I'm about to head to the dollar store right now to see if I can make some makeshift hammocks and toys in the mean time :)