Author Topic: Bass Pans?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
Bass Pans?
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:51:42 PM »
I know this has been asked before but I can't find the info...I have a rat that's chewed the corner out of my CN pan.  I want to replace it with a metal pan, but does Bass or anyone make them shallow enough to use with fleece?  Where/how can I get them powder coated?  If I have to spray them here, what's the drying/curing time?

Thanks!

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Bass Pans?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:09:48 AM »
I believe Bass has stainless steel pans that don't need coated in anything but are more expensive. Or you can get the galvanized ones and powder coat or spray paint yourself. When I looked into getting mine powder coated I googled "powder coat shops in (my location)". I ended up painting them myself. If you go the spray paint route, use Rustoleum Painters Touch and let cure 2-3 weeks before using the pans. As for height, they are good as is. I use fleece in mine no problem. Unless you're wanting to clip down your fleece or some other reason you would need shorter pans, you can contact them and ask if the could make them shorter. I contacted them once to see if they could flip the cut-out portion for the top pan of a DCN and they were happy to accommodate my needs.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:20:16 AM »
Flowertown Chinchillas in Canada makes pre-painted 3/4" deep trays and shelf pans. They also sell a flat sheet for the mid-level base. Bass Equipment makes them 2 1/2" and 3" deep in both galvanized and stainless steel. The galvanized pans can be finished with Rustoleum Painter's Touch spray paint and left to cure for a couple weeks before using in the cage. The stainless pans don't need to be painted but they do cost more. Bass might custom make shallower pans. It could be worth inquiring about. Big Ben had some really good luck with finding a local powder coating company to finish his pans for only about $50. Pricing will probably vary considerably depending on your area and the company. I'd contact several places to get pricing.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 02:21:35 PM »
Michael, I'd forgotten they did the work for such little money.  The pans came out looking great.  Anyone who wants a good match for the cage color can consult the thread for the paint code (Tiger Drylac brand).  I know I put it in one of the messages.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:27:30 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Looks like the Chinchilla website has them prepainted and everything, cost even less than replacement Midwest pans!

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 08:55:59 PM »
So I need some advice guys, I am super frustrated. 

One of my rats was eating the corner of the Critter Nation pan like it was candy, which led to poop all over the floor behind the cage.  I borrowed a Bass pan from my friend to try, which didn't work.  I use fleece bedding (humans have allergies) and the Bass pan fit inside the cage so closely that I couldn't wrap the fleece around it like I would with the plastic pans.  How do y'all use fleece with Bass pans?  If I put it inside they just wad it up in two seconds and pee/poop everywhere.  I should add:  these are the first rats I have had that refuse to use a litter box.

Option C:  I ordered the metal pans from the chinchilla place in Canada.  They were affordable, shipping to USA was not.  The pans arrived, I wrestled with unboxing them for an hour, and they have the same problems as the Bass pan only worse.  The edges are insanely sharp and I would not feel safe leaving rats in the cage with them.  I don't know what chinchillas do, but rats will find trouble and pointy metal corners are not good.  To add insult to injury the pans are sized just like the Bass pans, too big to wrap in fleece, and I could barely wedge them into the cage.

Help?

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 10:21:40 PM »
is there a bedding you (or family member(s)) aren't allergic to? Bedding makes life much easier and less smells...The only way I can think of using fleece here, if it doesn't fit under, is to use magnets but rats being rats will still find a way to go underneath. I have bass pans and I don't have any sharp edges.
There's still the Home Depot mixing tubs. I used to have them and liked it. If you cut it just enough, rats can't chew at them easily or at all.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 11:11:31 PM »
I ordered the metal pans from the chinchilla place in Canada.  They were affordable, shipping to USA was not.  The pans arrived, I wrestled with unboxing them for an hour, and they have the same problems as the Bass pan only worse.  The edges are insanely sharp and I would not feel safe leaving rats in the cage with them.  I don't know what chinchillas do, but rats will find trouble and pointy metal corners are not good.  To add insult to injury the pans are sized just like the Bass pans, too big to wrap in fleece, and I could barely wedge them into the cage.

Oh no! The edges of the Flowertown pans are sharp?! They aren't folded over like the Bass pans?

Yes, the pans fit into the cages too snugly for fleece to be fastened with binder clips in the same way as the plastic CN pans. Have you ever seen the fleece/Uhaul furniture padding mats? They could just sit on the bottom of the pans. They should be just fine like this. They're thick enough that they don't really get messed up even if your rats are crazy. I don't even bother clipping them down in my boy's cage.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 10:20:33 AM »
I have the stainless steel Bass pans that I use fleece with. I anchor the corners of the fleece with the litter boxes (glass pyrex dishes- they have some weight) and pieces of slate tile. They will still get the fleece balled up, but I try to give them lots of scraps to nest with so they are less inclined to pull the lower layer together. I just straighten it out a bit every day or two as needed. The extra cost of the stainless steel was worth it to me so I didn't have to paint the pans.
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 02:11:52 PM »
Oh no! The edges of the Flowertown pans are sharp?! They aren't folded over like the Bass pans?

Right, they are held together with some sort of appropriate pin type thing, but there isn't the reinforcement piece that covers the sharp edges like the Bass pans have.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 07:23:11 PM »
I use liners that are made with UHaul pads, so they are heavier and stiffer than just fleece alone. For the most part if the rats mess with the liners, they are only able to pull up a corner, so I remedy that by placing fleece covered tiles in areas they like to mess with. The litter box holds down one corner, a tile under their igloo hold down another, and their heavy ceramic bowl, or a dish holds down a 3rd corner. Keep the room a good temperature, and change the liners often and they shouldnt chew them (much). Also tossing in some fleece scraps or shredded paper helps deter chewing liners for nesting material. I dont like to use pillow case style liners anyway. Ive found if you leave liners loose, they will try and pull up corners, but they lose interest fast and arent as likely to chew as they do when the liners are clipped, tucked, etc.

Edit: also wanted to add, I've found quilting the liners helps with the liners lifespan too. I had a rat who liked to chew a hole in the liners and get between layers, but after quilting them together, she had a ahrder time and eventually stopped. It also helped hold them together longer. My rats dont really chew them any more after I started doing the tips I already mentioned above ^ Im able to reuse liners several times now whereas before with the fleece pillow case styles, I was able to use them twice if I was lucky and didnt have high standards for the look of the liners (holes, holes everywhere)lol.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:28:28 PM by Kitsch Slapped »

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
Temporary solution:  I put the metal chinchilla pan under the plastic CN tray.  They can still chew if they want, but poop can't fall out and they can't hurt themselves on the pans.  So far so good.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »
I know this has drifted off the topic of Bass pans... but are those Uhaul pads washable?

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 05:51:34 PM »
Yes they are washable.  :)

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
I know this has drifted off the topic of Bass pans... but are those Uhaul pads washable?

The furniture pad material is made from recycled denim fibers but it's not a woven material. I imagine it's made more like how paper is made than how fabric is made. Because the fibers aren't interlocked the way cloth fibers are, it can slough off quite a bit of material in the wash. If your machine's discharge hose empties into a utility sink, make sure you've got a good filter on the end to prevent the drain from clogging.

I believe Vonda makes her liner mats with the Uhaul padding exposed on the bottom side but I prefer to encapsulate the padding between two layers of fleece to prevent the loose fibers from escaping in the wash. This also makes the mats reversible.

(also, Uhaul pads do shrink in the wash so it's a good idea to prewash in hot water before sewing)

Thank you Vonda for putting all of this information out there and for making it so easy for us to find!

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
Thanks for all the info Kitsch and Michael!

I made fleece-towel-fleece layered liners for a while, and it sounds like your design is an upgraded version of that.  Also avoids the problem of trying to sew the pad itself, which is way too thick for my machine.

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
I ordered the flowertown pans as well, mine were not sharp though? and I had no trouble with unboxing or getting them in the cage, I'm wondering if yours got warped in shipment or something as mine as been nothing but perfect I cant find any sharp areas that give me concern. I just use the normal liners I made for my regular mans in them no problem, though I do intent to make slightly larger better fitting ones soon

you might try covering the sharp spots with a few layers of duct tape, I've found my rats wont chew on it after a small test nibble or two, you would have to change it out semi-often but it could be a good temp fix
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:15:46 AM by Ehrinlove »