Author Topic: Best cheap single level cage  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Mousey

• Photo Album
Best cheap single level cage
« on: August 29, 2016, 02:46:01 AM »
One of my rats, Wilbur, has hind leg degeneration and the other, Otis, has a pituitary tumor :(  Both of my babies have trouble getting around in their current Martin's r-690 cage.  They usually just stay on the bottom level (which is rather small in terms of floor space). 

I'm in search of a hopefully inexpensive single level cage to keep them from falling and to give them more floor space.  Since they are both rather elderly and Otis having a terminal illness, I'd prefer not to spend a large sum of money right now.  These will be my last ratties for a long while.  As much as I adore them, it's too much heartbreak for me to handle right now.

There is an overpriced pet store and a petco in my town, I'm also willing to purchase online.
mom of two squishy rats, Otis & Wilbur

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
Re: Best cheap single level cage
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »
I might check out the online classifieds (craigslist, et al.) in your area for a used guinea pig cage. If they can handle 1" bar spacing, pig cages might be perfect.

Offline Mousey

• Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 02:49:29 PM »
I might check out the online classifieds (craigslist, et al.) in your area for a used guinea pig cage. If they can handle 1" bar spacing, pig cages might be perfect.
So far I haven't seen any used cages that would work and are under 3 hours away.  But I will keep my eye out.  I was also thinking a Guinea pig cage would be perfect.  I wonder if it would stress my sick rat out to put him in a new cage..

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
Check ebay too, you can search by ZIP code.

Offline Mousey

• Photo Album
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
I ended up purchasing a Guinea pig cage from petco today as I need one as soon as possible (Otis kept falling from the ledges).  It's not my ideal cage but it will have to work for now.  Wilbur keeps staring out of the cage bars..not sure he's the biggest fan.  I've lowered the hammock to the point where it's touching the ground and he's still having trouble getting in it with his HED.

Here is a pic of their new cage next to their old Martin's cage.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/63910046@N06/29039694670/