Author Topic: How do you hang your hammocks?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Ehrinlove

How do you hang your hammocks?
« on: September 01, 2016, 04:56:58 AM »
right now I use a mixture of things, but I'm on the lookout for a bulk set of hooks/shower rings/ect something simple, I don't want to really get into grommets for how quickly my rodents chew things apart I dont think grommets can be reused XD what do you use/recommend?

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Re: How do you hang your hammocks?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 08:42:48 AM »
I've always been a fan of the metal shower curtain hooks.  You can get them in bulk online, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Curtain-Hanging-Sorting-Organizing-Super/dp/B01A1GZTKI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1472733528&sr=8-8&keywords=metal+shower+curtain+rings

For rats who chew a lot, I would just make a tiny hole in the fabric to put the ring through.  Two days later when it had been chewed down, I'd make a new hole an inch away (or use one the rats had placed conveniently).  It doesn't help much with hammock lifespan, but at least it's a lot less effort than grommets.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »
I've always been a fan of the metal shower curtain hooks.  You can get them in bulk online, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Curtain-Hanging-Sorting-Organizing-Super/dp/B01A1GZTKI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1472733528&sr=8-8&keywords=metal+shower+curtain+rings

For rats who chew a lot, I would just make a tiny hole in the fabric to put the ring through.  Two days later when it had been chewed down, I'd make a new hole an inch away (or use one the rats had placed conveniently).  It doesn't help much with hammock lifespan, but at least it's a lot less effort than grommets.

I use those too. Make sure to have the narrow side on top as it has been a couple reports of rats getting stuck in the narrow side of the ring.

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »
those are perfect! they are now on my list of things to get this payday and I'll keep the narrow end up then for sure! I'm due to make some more hammocks actually as my girls have worked their way through all five they had in the cage plus the spares, my boys only use them for napping thankfully, its fun watching the two girls I just adopted discover hammocks for the first time and climb all over the cage all happy