Author Topic: Advice on orphaned rat  (Read 556 times)

Offline dapples23

• Posts Too Much!
Advice on orphaned rat
« on: September 13, 2016, 07:36:16 PM »
Hi all,
Back story is a wound up with some pinky rats that were meant to be feeders and decided to try to hand-raise them. I lose two very quickly, but the third has been doing okay, all things considered. My guess is she was about 3 days old when I got her, and now she would be about 19 days old now. I think it's been a crazy, emotional roller coaster - one day I'm preparing for her death, the next she's doing amazingly and I think we could be in the clear.
She's been on amoxicillin for 10 days now for some clicking that we thought could be pneumonia related. Better safe than sorry. She's had a lot of problems with dehydration, then diarrhea, then dehydration, etc etc. She's eating soy enfamil, diluted 1:3. For most of the time she's been on formula, I've also been diluting it further with pedialyte since she's had dehydration problems. She also received sub-q fluids a few times.

So now it would seem I'm getting close to out of the woods. I've introduced solids and she's tried nibbling on a few things. She's eating the rice cereal mixed with formula/pedialyte pretty well today. I'm still feeding every 2.5 hours (even at night) because I don't trust that she'll get up to go to the dish.

I started noticing that she's really wobbly. She's always been, but she's tiny and probably not fully developed. Now she definitely has a head tilt, which likely is contributing to the balance problems. My vet gave her a tiny amount of Baytril mixed with sub-q fluids yesterday, but I'm reluctant to continue with it since Baytril can cause issues with little ones and she's already so underdeveloped. I also don't love the idea of repeatedly stabbing her tiny body every day for the next 10 days. I could do it orally, but it tastes so horrible and I don't want to risk her going off feeding well.

Do I continue the amoxicillin and see what happens over the next few days? Do the Baytril despite the risks? If the amoxicillin was doing what it was supposed to, would she even have developed this head tilt in the first place?

Ugh, I just want this little thing to survive and I feel so attached, and now for this additional issue, it's just really stressing me out. :(

Hoping someone has some insight - the internet just doesn't seem to have a ton of info on rats this young.
~ Tinsel ~ Milo ~
RIP April, Lexi, Splinter, Charlie, Luna

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Advice on orphaned rat
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 01:56:07 PM »
At 3 weeks old I would put her on baytril/zithromax for her inner ear. its serious enough she needs the big guns.  When its only a mild issue that;'s when I attempt to use pediatric friendly antibiotics.  There IS Clavamox which should help with inner ear (super charged amoxi) if you can get it.