Author Topic: hairless rat looking bony and thin?  (Read 851 times)

Offline bmsgirl94

hairless rat looking bony and thin?
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:09:09 PM »
Hi all!

I have a hairless rat, Toby, that is about 5 months old. Lately he's been looking VERY thin. I can see his spine and he looks thinner. He lives with my boy with hair, Finn. They get lab blocks daily (about 8 a day which the suggested is 3-5 per day per rat). They also get things such as pasta (cooked or uncooked), Gerber apple puff treats, and vegetables occasionally. I'm not sure if he's underweight or if it's just because he's hairless so I can see more. I can attach pictures if needed.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: hairless rat looking bony and thin?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:12:11 PM »
Yes, pics would help. If you are worried, you could weigh him- it will tell you if he is losing weight or not. I weight my rats once a month, or once a week if I put them on a  diet;)

Offline bmsgirl94

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
http://imgur.com/a/fpW9b

Here's some pics!

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:34:29 AM »
Are they sharing food nicely?
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 10:57:20 AM »
I don't know what the problem is, but I would get Toby to the vet as soon as possible.

Do you know anything about his ancestry that might tell what his problem is?  Megacolon can strike at his age (delayed-onset), but I think it would appear as bloat, not wasting.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  2m2f21r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline bmsgirl94

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »
Finn is more of the dominant personality and I think he might hog the food so that might be part of the problem. i'm going to start taking Toby out of the cage to feed him so I can make sure he's eating properly.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
As young as they are I would definitely feed the lab block free choice rather than rationing by # of blocks. Might help.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 02:02:41 PM »
i'm going to start taking Toby out of the cage to feed him so I can make sure he's eating properly.

This definitely.  And try some high protein/fat foods to help add the extra calories quicker.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »
As young as they are I would definitely feed the lab block free choice rather than rationing by # of blocks. Might help.

I've always fed my kids free choice.  Even my vet recommends this.  By doing so, you don't have to worry that one is hogging all the food while the other gets very little.

I see he also has buck grease.  Not a huge issue!  But if you want to get rid of it, and after you figure out his eating situation and his thinness, you can put olive oil on him.  Rub some onto your palms and them rub all over him.  It won't hurt him or his 'brother'/cage mate at all, as a matter of fact it is good for them!  Olive oil helps to give moisture to their skin, and they'll groom it off each other along with the buck grease.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »
You could put some olive oil or flax seed oil on Toby's veggies for extra calories, although it would be good for all your rats- my rats always get a little on their veggies:)

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 06:52:39 PM »
I agree with the others - definitely stop rationing the rat blocks. They are a complete diet and I have always been told that rats will not overeat - they stop eating when they are full. The key is to make sure most of their diet is well balanced. If you feed too many treats or other foods, then they will fill up on the foods that are less healthy and not on the rat blocks. So ration the other stuff, but give them as many blocks as they want.

You might want to start weighing him with a gram scale on a regular basis. If you notice weight loss at this age with free fed lab blocks, definitely make an appointment with a vet, as weight loss can be a sign of illness - especially at this age when they should be growing.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 10:07:01 AM »
I agree with the others - definitely stop rationing the rat blocks. They are a complete diet and I have always been told that rats will not overeat - they stop eating when they are full. The key is to make sure most of their diet is well balanced. If you feed too many treats or other foods, then they will fill up on the foods that are less healthy and not on the rat blocks. So ration the other stuff, but give them as many blocks as they want.

You might want to start weighing him with a gram scale on a regular basis. If you notice weight loss at this age with free fed lab blocks, definitely make an appointment with a vet, as weight loss can be a sign of illness - especially at this age when they should be growing.

+1

Definitely.

Offline bmsgirl94

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 01:23:21 PM »
Toby had started gaining weight, but unfortunately passed away this morning. Thank you all for your help. Finn is doing well, he looks healthy and is eating/exercising/and drinking normally.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 02:53:05 PM »
 :'(

I'm sorry to hear this about Toby.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 09:23:44 PM »
I'm so sorry about Toby:( he was so young. Maybe he had some kind of cancer...So sorry.

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss. -hugs-

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 06:11:36 PM »
I'm so sorry for your news.  Rest in peace, dear sweet Toby, and play hard at the Bridge. :heart: