Author Topic: Partial foot paralysis  (Read 825 times)

Offline ecaus18

Partial foot paralysis
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:18:22 PM »
Hey guys, I have a question for y'all. My friend has a rat that's roughly 4 months old. He's been separated from his cagemate (upon the discovery that Frank was actually a girl) and he's been pretty depressed seeming. We've been trying to keep him active and giving him love.
He's not been moving around a whole lot, but when he does he was fine.
I had him out earlier and he was a happy little guy getting loves. I put him back in his cage and he went in his box and took a nap. Maybe 20 minutes later he got up and was walking around and he won't use his right hind foot to walk, he would hold it up and out to avoid it touching the ground. He was using it to itch, used it to hop up on his ledge, and groomed his foot. 
When we looked at it, there's no obvious injury to the foot, it didn't hurt him to palate it and move his leg around. He would push against my friends hand.
But he still won't use it when he walks, or he will kind of hop on it. When he jumped off the ledge he derped and his foot dragged as he jumped down.
Has anyone had anything like this happen? Any idea what it could be?
At first we thought maybe his foot fell asleep or something but it appears to be more than that.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Partial foot paralysis
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »
Sounds like a he sprained his foot. It happened to one of my rats, and I gave her liquid  baby ibuprofen. He should be fine in a few days:) look for dosage as baby and infant ibuprofen have different dosage- both work fine. Baby ibuprofen is more concentrated so you need to give less to your rat.

http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/ibuprofen.php

Offline ecaus18

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
Sounds like a he sprained his foot. It happened to one of my rats, and I gave her liquid  baby ibuprofen. He should be fine in a few days:) look for dosage as baby and infant ibuprofen have different dosage- both work fine. Baby ibuprofen is more concentrated so you need to give less to your rat.

http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/ibuprofen.php

I didn't even think about baby ibuprophin! That's a great idea. We will give it a shot and see what happens. He hasn't been moving a whole lot since he separation (she had babies and we are raising the funds to get him neutered once they can be reunited) that I'm worried we may haven't have noticed it earlier.
Idk how he would have sprained his foot.
He's laying down now, and the foots curled up, while the other one is out flat like a normal rat would.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »
It doesn't take much for a rat to sprain a leg.  It can also be hard to tell the difference between a sprain and a break, and it really doesn't matter, because there is very little to be done in either case.  With their fast metabolisms, rats tend to heal very quickly, so you should notice some improvement very soon.  A sprain will heal faster than a break, naturally, so if it takes a bit longer, don't worry, it will heal eventually.

The Rat Guide has instructions for dosing with ibuprofen.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
How is he doing now? I hope his leg is back to normal functioning.

Offline ecaus18

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
Yeah, we couldnt get him the ibuprophen until the next day (we live in a small town where everything closes at 9 pm and so we figured waiting until the next day wouldnt hurt.
he was walking around on it fine, so we didnt bother.
he then fell (because he was standing on a tissue box like the genius he is) and seemed to rehurt it, but again, we had to wait to get it for him, and hes doing better

hes been really down with the separation, but i gave him some baby food with his mothers permission, and he perked right back up!