Author Topic: How to keep the girls still for two seconds?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Kris1114

• Rat Lover!
How to keep the girls still for two seconds?
« on: April 08, 2003, 09:06:18 PM »
The girls are always go, go, go and hardly stand still for petting. I feel like I'm just annoying them when they have so much "stuff" to explore, and things, including me to pee on! I can almost hear them whining for me to put them down and let them cause mishchief instead! My Meisha will give kisses, groom, and stay with me for a while, but she is the only one. The other girls will groom and kiss me in the cage only. Outside of the cage, they will climb all over me, but never just take a breather to just chill out with me for a moment.

Does anyone have any secrets to win over the girls? Where do they like to be pet the best? Nothing seems to work. Or is that just the nature of the female rat? Maybe once they get a little older they will slow down? My oldest three are 1yr old, followed by 7 months and 5 months.

Ensie

Re:How to keep the girls still for two seconds?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 09:16:21 PM »
LOL! I was never able to find anything that could slow Mocha down. She never stopped for anything. But by letting her run around and do her own thing, she always felt free to come back to me. And she always does. Now she has a tendency to follow me around because she knows that I am the source of all kinds of yummy things and interesting places. When she needs a place to crash after all her running around, she always comes back to me. She perches on my shoulder, climbs straight up my leg, crawls around in my shirts, hides underneath my hair, grooms me in all my ticklish spots, kisses me regularly. I know that Mocha loves me as much as I love her. She shows me ALL the time.

So let your girls have their fun. Become a part of their fun. I think you'll find that they'll love you all the more for it.

Almost forgot: one trick that I use without shame is to wait until Mocha (and Smores) find a place to nap after an exploring session. It does take hours for them to calm down, though. I make sure to wait until they are in some serious sleeping. Then I quietly go in, rub my fingers next to them a little bit to let them know I'm there, and then I rub them over the top of their heads and under their jaws and behind their ears. They're sleepy and content already, so when I do this I get some serious bruxing action every time. They'll even tilt their head so I rub them in just the right spot. Oh, my babies.

pigsandrats

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 09:18:35 PM »
My two slowed down as they grew up. When they're young it's like zoom, zoom, zoom!  :D
As for peeing on you-- I read in one of my rat books that when they do that it means you're part of 'their' group. It's no big deal anyway.... just a little pee..... :rattysmiley:

Offline Kris1114

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 09:30:09 PM »
Well, I do let them do their own thing. I leave their cage doors open for about 2 hrs at a time, and they come and go as they please. It's funny, they will stop what they are doing, go back to their cage for a drink and a bite to eat then rejoin the group. I leave the room to go to the bathroom and get drinks and stuff, but other than that I'm with them letting them climb on me, look through my hair like monkeys, shoulder ride(most of the time ALL of the rats try to shoulder ride at once!), and tunnel under my clothes(Although I'm not to fond of that because they make my skin red and irritated).

I just feel like once in a while it would be nice if they would cuddle, ya know? I know that is a lot to ask of the "Zoom Zoom girls" though! Maybe my next generation of ratties will be boys? I love the girlies just the same though! :)