Author Topic: Possible cataract?  (Read 475 times)

Offline madcow_87

Possible cataract?
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:21:29 PM »
Hi all, one of our girls seems to have developed a cloudy eye... is it a cataract? (See link  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4ATVfZQ9fzoaUl1cnoyX2w5VjQ)
Fur Babies: Harley, Remy, Nala, Tillie, Indie, Badger, Penny, and Lorelai.
Gone but not forgotten: Skye, Lola, and Millie.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Possible cataract?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »
Well, isn't she a cutie! :heart:

I looked at the photo, and it does appear to be a cataract, though you would have to confirm that with a vet.  Fortunately, rats don't depend nearly as much on their eyesight as we do, so it shouldn't handicap her ability to run around and play.  None of my cataracts ever hurt me, so I assume the same is true for rats, but I have seen posts that claim that cataracts are indeed painful to rats.  You would really need to discuss that with a vet to be sure one way or the other.  Perhaps someone reading this thread might be able to cite a scientific article on the topic; the Rat Guide doesn't have much to say about cataracts.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:43:33 PM »
Yes it could be a cataract. I had a girl who had a cataract that cleared up after a round of antibiotics because it had developed from infection. I also had a girl get one possibly after an injury and it went away after some time, and I also had ann older gal get cataracts in both eyes. She did just fine getting around the cage but we did try and keep things in the same place for her so she could still get food and water easily.
You should see a vet to confirm its a cataract. Some rats can develop cataracts from injury, in which case they may or may not clear up on their own. Others can develop them from an infection which may or may not clear up with antibiotics. And others may just develop them for no reason, maybe age or genetics plays a roll in that case, but its always best to get a definitive answer from a vet. :)
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline madcow_87

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »
It certainly doesn't affect her ability to run around and play! She's an absolute nutter!! And she says thank you (I showed her your lovely compliment 😊)

We'll take her to the vet to confirm 😊 She doesn't seem to be in any pain and she's still eating everything in sight!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:54:24 PM by madcow_87 »

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 11:18:26 AM »
My beautiful sweet Anne, one of my first rats, was a PEW, and her eyesight was particularly bad.  It didn't take her long to suss out the lay of the cage, and after a few days you would never have known that she was practically blind.  It certainly didn't handicap her!  I'm glad your girl is doing well, also. :heart:

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »
It certainly doesn't affect her ability to run around and play! She's an absolute nutter!! And she says thank you (I showed her your lovely compliment 😊)

We'll take her to the vet to confirm 😊 She doesn't seem to be in any pain and she's still eating everything in sight!

You might take her to the vet just to have them look at her and know it looks like that.  I had a group of PEW boys a few years ago that started out with red eyes but developed whitening of the eyes as they aged; it wasn't a cataract but had something genetic to do with the lens of their eye (the entire litter had it).  We kept an eye on them but no one ever had issues, just poor eyesight which is common with these guys to begin with.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »
How old is your girly? 

Offline madcow_87

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
How old is your girly?

We're not too sure. When we rehomed them, we were told about 8 months... if we go by that, it puts them at around 2.

We took Lola to the vets today and they have confirmed it is not caused by infection and although it isn't 'right' she is happy and healthy 😊

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »
How old is your girly?

We're not too sure. When we rehomed them, we were told about 8 months... if we go by that, it puts them at around 2.

We took Lola to the vets today and they have confirmed it is not caused by infection and although it isn't 'right' she is happy and healthy 😊

That's good news.  And age two is indeed when this sort of problem starts to crop.  The good thing about cataracts is that they are among the most benign of the health problems that ratties can experience.