Author Topic: Kids multivitamin?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Dangerrat

• Ritten
Kids multivitamin?
« on: September 28, 2016, 03:42:41 PM »
Hi All,

After many ratless years, I have a young man I've been calling Danger Rat to care for. He's a solitary man because of aggression - hence the name :-)

We've been together about 3 months now. I was feeding him mazuri lab blocks and supplementing with whatever organic grains/seeds/veggies/fruit I had around the house. I noticed about a month ago he started developing a little mammary lump. I immediately stopped giving him the (soy-based, GMO) lab blocks and started giving him a mix of oats, cereal, seeds, nuts, pasta, nutritional yeast... as well as a bit of whatever I'm eating each day like beans, quinoa, banana, etc. He also enjoys some herbal tea with me most days. The tumor has been getting smaller but I'm concerned about the overall balance of his diet.

My question is- can I safely utilize a children's vitamin for him? For example, cutting a gummy vitamin into 8 pieces and giving him a piece every other day. Any other suggestions are welcome, save putting him back on a conventional lab block or otherwise nonorganic diet.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Kids multivitamin?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:59:27 PM »
The problem is the phytoestrogens in soy.  Check the ingredients of Oxbow and Harlan Teklad.  I know that HT 2016 deliberately avoids soy products (except, as I recall, soybean oil, which they claim is not a source of phytoestrogens).

Also, which Mazuri formula were you feeding your boy?  I believe the infant formula (Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet) may contain soy, but the adult formula (Mazuri Rodent Breeder 6F) may not.  Again, the Web site will tell you the complete ingredients list and will provide a guaranteed analysis.

I suggest using a lab block simply because they all contain all the vitamins that rats need, in the proper proportions necessary.  Much less fuss than trying to reconstruct a healthy diet from scratch.  In any case, if you would like the nutritional requirements for Rattus norvegicus, you can find them here.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Dangerrat

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:07:53 PM »
Thanks for the nutritional requirements link.

I understand this about the soy, I was using mazuri rat and mouse diet, and I don't think I'll ever feed soy to male rats again- but just switching to a corn or wheat based block made with other ingredients I question wouldnt be a satisfactory solution.

If there were any pesticide/herbicide/GMO free blocks out there, I'd be happy to try them out!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:17:49 PM by Dangerrat »

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 10:06:45 PM »
If there were any pesticide/herbicide/GMO free blocks out there, I'd be happy to try them out!
I wish there was. If there's a rat GMO free/organic block out there, I'm not aware of it. I have been cooking for my rats more abd more the last couple of months. I use NUTRITION Data to make it well balanced. I only use organic ingredients. I also give them lots of raw foods. I use some organic dried pellets dog food too. The main problem with Oxbow and the other rat pellets is that the chemically produced  added vitamins/minerals are crap, some have even be showed to cause diseases.