Author Topic: Pillowcase DCN liners?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
Pillowcase DCN liners?
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
Hi,  :wave2:

Does anyone here make pillowcase DCN liners? And can you use material other than fleece?

Thanks,
Deb

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Pillowcase DCN liners?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
i can make some for you if you'd like
Fleece is the best choice for fabric, you can use flannel for a shelf liner, I'm not sure if it's wide enough to make a liner for the bottom pan, I"d have to check

some ppl buy thrift store pillowcases to use for the shelves, I've heard

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »
Hi,

I am sorry it took so long to reply. I was out of town and then came home to Hurricane Matthew.

I purchased a twin size comforter/pillow sham at Walmart by YourZone.  I use the comforter on the floor and the sham over a DCN shelf. It works wonderfully so I bought another set. But...that is getting expensive. I don't need the comforter just the shams. Although I have researched, I cannot find them separately. The material says 100% polyester. It feels like very soft, very short fur. And looks zebra striped top with yellow bottom. This material absorbs really well and my boys love sleeping on it. It never smells bad and washes and dries in the machines perfectly. I cannot stand the smell of rat urine on fleece and other then hammocks, I avoid it. I am using towels on my DCN floors but would like to use a covering that slips over the floors like a pillow case. Not knowing anything about materials I am not sure what to look for if I go to a Joanne's. Any suggestions of what I could do would be appreciated. I do not know if I described the material well enough but if you search Walmart for 'your zone gray and yellow zebra comforter set' you can see it and hopefully know what I am talking about. I would love to work with you to get a couple sets made for my DCN floors in a similar material if possible. Please let me know what I need to do next....  :)

Thanks,
Debbie

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:39:08 PM »
People have suggested against towels in cages. They can catch their little toes in the loops. I once hurt an old manrat's foot in a washcloth after I used it to dry him after a bath. Another had ratties chew a hole, and a baby nearly strangled hanging in a dangling thread.  :'(
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 02:31:06 PM »
People have suggested against towels in cages. They can catch their little toes in the loops. I once hurt an old manrat's foot in a washcloth after I used it to dry him after a bath. Another had ratties chew a hole, and a baby nearly strangled hanging in a dangling thread.  :'(

That's why fleece is recommended in favor of other fabrics:  no loose threads to catch a toe, and unlike felt, it is stretchy enough to make strangulation in holes unlikely.

Realistically, with other fabrics your chances are good that you could go a long time without an accident, but when one finally does happen--and it's inevitable that one eventually will--it would be hard not to feel terrible about it, especially since it would have been preventable.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  3m3f19r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
Yes, I understand and am very watchful. I have had no problems with the pillow shams. Not one hole, no strings. My boys have never chewed them. I have had them since January and they are still mint even after all the times they have been washed and dried. Nor do they smell horrible when peed on. That is why I hope to find a similar material and have covers made.  :)

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 05:25:48 PM »
Hi,

I am sorry it took so long to reply. I was out of town and then came home to Hurricane Matthew.

I purchased a twin size comforter/pillow sham at Walmart by YourZone.  I use the comforter on the floor and the sham over a DCN shelf. It works wonderfully so I bought another set. But...that is getting expensive. I don't need the comforter just the shams. Although I have researched, I cannot find them separately. The material says 100% polyester. It feels like very soft, very short fur. And looks zebra striped top with yellow bottom. This material absorbs really well and my boys love sleeping on it. It never smells bad and washes and dries in the machines perfectly. I cannot stand the smell of rat urine on fleece and other then hammocks, I avoid it. I am using towels on my DCN floors but would like to use a covering that slips over the floors like a pillow case. Not knowing anything about materials I am not sure what to look for if I go to a Joanne's. Any suggestions of what I could do would be appreciated. I do not know if I described the material well enough but if you search Walmart for 'your zone gray and yellow zebra comforter set' you can see it and hopefully know what I am talking about. I would love to work with you to get a couple sets made for my DCN floors in a similar material if possible. Please let me know what I need to do next....  :)

Thanks,
Debbie

oh hope everything is ok, after the Hurricane. I Have friends in Nova Scotia that got hit with just the remnants of it, and now have no power and flooded streets, got 10 times the amnt of rain that was predicted!! I Hope where you are, things are ok and back to normal.

OK I checked walmart, what you have is actually a kind of fleece called microfiber. with a very low pile.
the fabric is 100% polyester, as you mentioned, and this is also what fleece is made of.

Plush microfiber fleece with a short pile like that is hard to find and expensive. I will, however, see if I can find it, because as you said, it's super soft and plush and who wouldn't love it! LOL
I think the coral fleece that they sell at fabric.com comes close, but may not be as plush as what you have.
I don't think you have to worry about toes getting stuck in that fabric, either, because it's made a lot like regular fleece, I believe. It's not a woven fabric. I don't know how the heck they make it, but it's more likely to shed than anything else. You can watch for loose threads but I don't think it's going to be an issue, as you said.

I understand not liking the scent of urine on fleece, but there are ways to avoid that completely.
it can seem time consuming but most ppl have more time than money, LOL and regular fleece is much MUCH less expensive.

first off, never use anything scented when washing fleece. wash it at least twice before using it. (I always wash the fleece I buy before I sew it, and then again after I make something)
there is a finish put on all fabrics when it is manufactured, you want to wash that off.

never use any kind of fabric softener with fleece, no liquids and no dryer sheets.
Put a half cup or more of plain white vinegar in the rinse cycle, and do not over dry the fleece and there won't be any static

if you use vinegar every time you wash the fleece it won't smell (for heavily soiled items or anything that wasn't washed right away, I add vinegar to the wash water AND the rinse)
If it does smell, chances are you are using too much detergent and it's built up a residue.
There's a simple way to get rid of that- use hot water, a teaspoon of regular Blue Dawn dish soap and vinegar and soak all the fleece in that for, oh an hour or so. then rinse, and put thru a regular wash with your reg unscented detergent and vinegar in the rinse

I can't stress enough not to use too much laundry soap. If you think you did, put the wash thru a second rinse, if you are able to do that on your machine (this is much harder and most costly if you have to use a coin op machine)

I'll see if I can find the fabric you're looking for... if you don't hear back from me in a day or so, you can email me at 56ALTHEA@ gmail dot com
as I forget to check this page sometimes and I am not getting notifications like I used to must look into that now... and i'm off to do so lol)

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »
Yes. Things are back to normal after Matthew. I am in Orlando and we were very lucky. The coast and other states, not so much!  :( Thank you for the info on the material and fleece cleaning.

It is not so much the smell after washing (I use unscented detergent and vinegar), it is the smell as soon as they pee on it. When I walk up to the cage it hits me hard even if I just cleaned the cage a few hours earlier and I have to change it far too often. It is just the fleece! No other material (cotton, flannel, towels etc.) have that effect on me. I use a bath mat covered with a pillow case (of any material besides fleece) on the shelves and have no problem. But if there is one piece of fleece they have peed on I am gagging. Not a normal reaction I'm sure but I just can't stand it. The less fleece in my rat room, the better it smells. 

I also line all of my hammocks with paper products. They seem to pee on the paper which absorbs it and I then put in fresh paper every day. That helps with the hammock fleece. Anyway, my goal here is to line my DCN floors with a liner instead of towels that don't have me heaving every day and washing every night.  :-\  I know the material I am looking for is probably expensive and that is ok (within reason  ;)). If not, I am sure we can come up with something else. Just let me know what you find or any other suggestions you may have. I will try to get out to look this weekend at a fabric store but that would probably blow my mind having never been in one!!

Thanks for working with me.