Author Topic: Looking for new toys/cage additions  (Read 984 times)

Offline bmsgirl94

Looking for new toys/cage additions
« on: October 04, 2016, 12:03:34 PM »
Hello all!

As some of you may have seen in previous posts, I lost Toby my hairless boy yesterday. That leaves his brother Finn alone in the single level CN. I'm afraid Finn is going to be lonely and bored now by himself, as he's only about 6 months old. He was the dominant one of the two, but I'm still afraid the loneliness will get to him. I'm looking for new toys/things I can put in his cage to entertain him when I can't be home during the day.

Here's what he has right now
- wheel (he LOVES it)
- wooden blocks
- hammock
- two plastic hidey things from dollar store
- hanging wooden chew (doesn't seem interested)
- other wooden chews
- plastic ferret balls with bells (doesn't seem interested)

I was thinking about adding some more/interesting hammocks other than just the basic one I have in there currently. Any ideas for other things to keep him engaged?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:05:17 PM by bmsgirl94 »

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Looking for new toys/cage additions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »
The best thing you could do for Finn is to get him a new friend. All my rats love their space pods so that's somethings you might add to your cage. Sorry again  about Toby:( Do you have a reputable rat breeder or rat rescue close by? Pet stores are awful.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Looking for new toys/cage additions
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:36:43 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your Toby. May he rest easy and play hard.  :heart:

As for things to keep Finn happy, lots of out-of-cage time with tubes, piles of shredded paper, or towels, things he can climb on, climb in, and hide under. For in the cage I recommend cardboard boxes, things he can shred like toilet paper tubes stuffed with paper towels or ink-safe newspaper. Some rats like those cat jingle balls. Its hit or miss with those in my experience but they are cheap at the dollar store so it doesnt hurt to try. You could build him popsicle stick houses. Hot glue is non-toxic just make sure it says non-toxic on the package to be safe.

If you wont be getting any more rats, you could look into a rescue or shelter near you and see if you could foster a rat temporarily to keep him company.

Best wishes to you and Finn.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats