Author Topic: Twilight Months  (Read 328 times)

Offline RattyRodent

Twilight Months
« on: October 09, 2016, 03:58:43 PM »
As rats advance into old age, I always get mixed feelings. Our little girl Trixie will be three years old if she survives til the end of the month. She's in pretty good health despite being slower and feebler. Her cagemate Star died a few months ago, although from what I can see Trixie is handling it well. When we let her out of the cage she wants to crawl in my shirt, or in the morning, we'll let her out first thing and she'll want to crawl into the bed and curl up near us. Although she clearly wants company, we can't stay in bed all day so when we get up we put her on the floor and she heads toward one of her usual hang-out spots.

I'm never quite sure what the best move is. If we get more rats they will most likely be babies and you never know how older rats feel about that. How do the rest of you handle it when you're down to one rat?

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Twilight Months
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 08:13:19 PM »
One of my mischief was done to 1 rat, a 27 old month female. I took in 3 six weeks old babies to keep her company, that was a little over 2 months ago... She perked up right away, and now she acts like she was much younger, lol. I'm very happy about it.