Author Topic: rats Hind leg degeneration - Fleece or Litter?  (Read 879 times)

Offline Ehrinlove

rats Hind leg degeneration - Fleece or Litter?
« on: October 23, 2016, 12:07:08 AM »
one of my older boys has recently gotten to a point where he's struggling, his shelves and hammocks have all been lowered and everything is easily accessible, but I was wondering, would he be more comfortable on just a bedding of all litter [ I use aspen chips ] or should I stick to using fleece? he's quite happy and healthy otherwise and very mobile despite it

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: rats Hind leg degeneration - Fleece or Litter?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:12:30 AM »
Fleece might be easier on him than aspen.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  2m2f21r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 11:23:35 AM »
Fleece might be more comfortable, but Aspen more hygienic. If he drags his legs on the fleece they will get dirtier than they would be on Aspen, and pee could make his skin sore. Tough call. I would get softer Aspen like the drsfostersmith brand- it is finely shredded, soft, and they screen the dust out many times. It is more expensive but the best Aspen I tried so far. I tried the following Aspen bedding brands: drsfostersmith, Kaytee, and Native Earth.

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »
alright! thanks for the opinions! I'll stick to fleece for now and if I can get the softer aspen see how he deals with it if the hygiene becomes an issue <3

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 06:17:45 PM »
Another bedding that would be soft is Eco Bedding. It is only crinkled paper. Or you could simply wash the fleece every 2-3 days on sanitize. If it is HED try adding vitamin D and vitamin B12 to his diet.

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:29:55 AM »
I'll look into the vitamins for sure, and it is, he's almost completely paralyzed on his back end but there's no pain or discomfort aside from not being able to use the limbs, he's very cheerful though and drags himself all over with his front legs without really noticing to much, hasn't seemed to slow him down at all aside from being unable to pull his hefty size into a hammock, I'm washing the fleece every couple days and keeping an eye on his condition so far he seems to be fine

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 09:27:59 AM »
Since he has issues getting into an actual hanging elevated hammock you could try hooking a pocket hammock to the side of the cage for him to crawl into and still have the hammock option. Or even one of the fleece cubes hooked to the side of the cage at floor level for him to have easy access to.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 01:16:31 AM »
I tried that but, he has trouble with those, he's a very very big boy at nearly two pounds so the paralysis is really limiting his movement, I've got a really really low slung hammock in the cage and I've taken to making sure he gets to snuggle in it at least twice a day more normally, he will wait for me to help him up now and sit in the thing for over an hour just bruxing and boggling, breaks my heart

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
There's another bedding we liked for oldsters and hospice babies. I think it was called Diamond Dry. Paper based lab rat bedding in little shapes. Somebody on here sells it with their other supplies so a search might work.
--Best, Mountaintop--