Author Topic: Two single to a Double, how would you do it?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Ehrinlove

Two single to a Double, how would you do it?
« on: October 29, 2016, 09:21:16 AM »
Right now I have two single CN's and intend to merge them into a stacked Double, as it stands I'm planning on buying extra shelves and putting a shelf in each top are and bottom on both cages [alternating sides of course] but that still leaves a larger gap in the middle, would a regular ramp be high enough, or should I get perhaps something else to help them get from level to level in that section ?

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
Re: Two single to a Double, how would you do it?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 01:53:35 PM »
I also have two singles that I've used both stacked and strapped together side-by-side. I actually prefer them side-by-side because my rats love tearing through the full six-foot expanse of the cage floor at full speed. The giant double-wide floor is also great for rats with limited mobility ...and you get double the under-cage storage! Here's a picture;

There are two primary downsides to this configuration. 1) It's really low. You pretty much have to bend or kneel down every time you open the cage door. 2) To strap the cages together, you have to remove the side panels where the cages connect. This means you can't hang any shelves in the middle. My work-around for this was to use free standing kitchen cabinet shelves of varying heights (fleece covered with binder clips) and low-hanging hammocks in the center of the cage.

I recently moved and no longer have the space for the "double-wide" cage so I currently have them stacked. Without that mid-level grate and pan, it is a bit of a trick to make it work. My solution is to hang a ton of hammocks (especially corner hammocks) up and down the cage. Strategically placed lava ledges and wall-mounted utility bins help a lot, as well. Here are a couple pics of my current set-up;

I know you can purchase replacement pans with the cut-out for the mid-level but I don't think the metal grates that support them are available for purchase anywhere. You could potentially find some way to jury-rig a support structure with a cut-out for that mid-level pan but I don't know exactly how that would work.

...as it stands I'm planning on buying extra shelves and putting a shelf in each top are and bottom on both cages [alternating sides of course]

This is a really, really good idea. It would make it a lot easier for your rats to get around the cage. Actually, I think this is a good idea for anyone with a CN cage. There's such a glut of negative space in these cages and a second shelf makes really good use of the space. For a short time, I had my boys in a single with two shelves (attached at the highest and lowest opposing positions) and I absolutely loved it.

...but that still leaves a larger gap in the middle, would a regular ramp be high enough, or should I get perhaps something else to help them get from level to level in that section ?

Midwest also makes longer ramps (intended as an exterior ramp) that are about 25". I don't know if this would be excessive. You might just have to set up the cage and see. I still like the idea of a bunch of hammocks better because sometimes clumsy rats fall and it's better if their fall is interrupted by something soft.

Offline Ehrinlove

Re: Two single to a Double, how would you do it?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 04:09:14 PM »
oh I fully plan on lots and lots of hammocks from the start, and yeah I lack the space for a side by side setup though I would prefer it somewhat I'll try adding the external ramp as well when I get the extra pans since I will probably use it regardless of it it works or not if its long that just means a more shallow climb and if its short I can rest it on perhaps a bin or a collection of ledges and make it easy to reach