Author Topic: Returning from Hiatus  (Read 534 times)

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
Returning from Hiatus
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:55:57 AM »
So I've been on a hiatus from rats. I believe it's been 3-4 years. So long that I've given away all my rat items minus a few hammocks that were never used and I had originally planned on selling. So I'm walking through a local small chain pet store. And as always, I check the critters out with no intentions of buying, but I like to look.

Normally this store does not carry rats. They generally have a couple rabbits, either g.pigs or ferrets, and sometimes some hamsters.. When they do get in any other animal it's because they were surrenders / rescues. Needless to say, yesterday I see a cage on the floor of the animal room and I see a figure inside with a sign that says "boys". So I ask to "look" and if they had girls. "oooh yes we have a couple". So I go in to just window shop and we start chatting with the workers. Turns out it was a mini hoarding situation. They were told they were only going to bring in 9 rats, but they ended up with 20. All adults. Mine was the smallest they had gotten in actually. The males were half bald. The girl had cuts and sores all over her.

Of course, they sold all the remaining females the day before so I only left with a solo girl who I was told to be careful as she is "scared". Scared.... this girl sat in my hand licking me all over. She's a total ham! But being a solo girlie, I am on the looking for a friend or two down the line.

The good news is out of 20, they placed all but 6-7 I believe. So they are moving quick, and to pet homes. They did have a pretty beige blaze boy, but I'm a fan of girls so alas, no boys came home with me.

But in the mean time... Here's no name. A little beige mismarked hooded.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Returning from Hiatus
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:27:07 AM »
That precious face! I could just thud if I wasnt already laying in bed   :rattysmiley:
Welcome home! :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 07:10:32 AM »
what a cutie! congRATulations!!

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:30:55 AM »
She's beautiful!  CongRATS to you both!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »
What a sweetheart!  I hope you are able to find a loving friend for her. :heart:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 06:48:09 PM »
The friend part is more difficult than imagined.
I even, dare I say it, tried Petco. Nothing! And I'm a bit too far away from the rescues near me as I checked them out as well.
I went to the store where I got her to see if they had any more turned in, but alas, at the other store where they got a few in as well and all boys.

Nothing on craigslist, nothing. I'm surprised!

The nearest (not even that near to me) breeder is charging $40-70 CAN for rats.... Did I miss something in the past couple of years?