Author Topic: How soon to move babies into cage?  (Read 276 times)

Offline Calymene

How soon to move babies into cage?
« on: November 11, 2016, 01:29:23 AM »
Was given two baby rats to care for. The older is about 3 weeks old, I'm sure. He's very active and adores when I check on them because it means he can explore outside the nesting box. The other is younger than him, his eyes having that adorable sleepy look. He poops by himself and gets his formula from a dish. He prefers I don't bother him 'cause he still wants to sleep rather than explore. :3 Although he's younger than his brother, he still has the spunk to stick up for himself. Both attempt to eat solid food, and they both love grapes.

I'm trying not to name them, so as to not grow attached as I'm not sure if they're gonna make it. But I have high hopes.  ;)

Anyway, I was wondering what age I can put them into a proper cage? I'm worried if I put them in one too soon, they be able to escape through the bars. Thank you.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: How soon to move babies into cage?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »
If the bar spacing is 1/2 inch or less, they should not be able to escape.  Rats can get through any opening that they can get their heads into, however, so it pays to be careful.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n