Author Topic: Oxbow Rat Food  (Read 890 times)

Offline RattyRodent

Oxbow Rat Food
« on: November 11, 2016, 09:48:38 PM »
We always get Oxbow Adult Rat Food for our rats, but we might be getting new baby rats soon and I've noticed the pet stores - "Petsmart", "Pet Supplies Plus" and the rest - only carry the adult food. Anyone else notice this? Where do you find food for the younger generation?

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
Re: Oxbow Rat Food
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:59:14 AM »
I've been ordering Oxbow from Drs. Foster & Smith and have been very pleased with their service and pricing. I buy the big 20lb. bags but even the 3lb. bags are significantly cheaper than what I've seen at PetSmart. They're also offering free shipping on orders over $19.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »
Chewy.com has just added small animal diets to their inventory (they used to only carry dog and cat supplies). Because I order my dog's Blue Buffalo from them, I have started ordering the Oxbow from them as well. They always have free 1-2 day shipping on orders over $50 and their service is really good - I usually get my order the next day, but if not, then the day after. This is good for me because I sometimes forget to order until the last minute. But I order the rat food along with the dog food, so my orders are always over $50.

Also, if you place your first order with them through the Traveling Rat's link (https://www.chewy.com/rp/3993) they will donate $20 to the traveling rat. I was not eligible because I have been ordering dog food from them for a while, but if you have never placed an order through them, this is a great way to help rats in need.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 07:41:18 AM »
Also, be aware that the young rat and mouse diet is not as good as the Adult. The ingredients are not as good quality and, in my experience, the rats don't like it as much as the adult food. So another option would be to supplement the adult food with high protein extras like egg and chicken.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »
None of my rats ever liked the Oxbow young rat formula...now they all get the Oxbow adult formula and extra protein (not much is needed) if they are less than 6 month of age.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
Thanks for that link, Vonda! I just placed an order through them so TTR should be getting $20 :)
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 05:39:19 PM »
It should work if you use your husband's/significant other credit card, even if the address is the same. That's how I got an extra 20% off on my first critter nation on another website;)