Author Topic: Lump on face  (Read 1057 times)

Offline blazedrat

Lump on face
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
I'm not really sure if it's an abscess, or a tumor, maybe a weird combination. It does have pus and an awful smell, but I think it might be more than just an abscess. The vet did not suggest that it was a tumor, so I'm feeling unsure. He tried removing it twice, but it keeps coming back. I don't know if this vet can help him and I'm scared for him. He started bleeding from his eye. I'm worried that no vet can help him if I'm right and it is a tumor.. It might be impossible to remove.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:33:35 PM by blazedrat »

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Lump on face
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:03:09 PM »
Do you have a picture? Where is it located? If its around the cheek/under the ear area Zymbals Gland Tumor comes to mind. However, if it is an abscess, abscesses of the face are very difficult to treat and can easily reoccur. Is he on antibiotics? He will need an aggressive long round of ABs to help an abscess.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline blazedrat

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:37:23 AM »
http://imgur.com/a/4C7PU
It looks awful, I know. :-\

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »
I hate to say it, but I think you might be dealing with ZGT. You might speak to your vet about this possibility.
Here is what the rat guide has on ZGT: http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/zymbals_gland_tumor.php

I would mention this to your vet and see what they suggest. ZGT is very invasive. Very sorry if this is in fact ZGT. Sending good thoughts to your little rattie  :heart:

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
I am so sorry for your poor rattie. I also agree with Kitsch Slapped that this looks like Zymbal's Gland Tumor and that was my first thought even before seeing your picture. Zymbal's Gland Tumors can also produce abscesses, so if ZGT is present, you have likely been dealing with both.

I wish I had some helpful advice to offer, but I have been fortunate not to have yet encountered this problem. I would definitely talk to your vet about this possibility and I wish you both the best.

Hugs to both of you.

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 08:17:33 AM »
Third the Zymbal's Gland Tumor.  Have dealt with two of them over the course of thirteen years of rat ownership, they are very invasive.  Print out the info about ZGT and take it to your vet.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »
Looks like ZGT to me too - I'm sorry :( I had a boy with ZGT and it looked basically just like that (position-wise - his never got gross because it started knocking his teeth out of whack and he couldn't eat well anymore :'().
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline blazedrat

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »
I might have him pts this weekend. :( if it is ZGT, it doesn't look like much can be done... His teeth are starting to over grow, too.
If there is a way to make him feel better for a few more weeks, I'll consider it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:28:14 PM by blazedrat »

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
I might have him pts this weekend. :( if it is ZGT, it doesn't look like much can be done... His teeth are starting to over grow, too.
If there is a way to make him feel better for a few more weeks, I'll consider it.

I'm so very sorry, gentle hugs to both of you.  You know him best.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:46:13 PM »

I'm so very sorry, gentle hugs to both of you.  You know him best.

+1
Very sorry youre going through this. I had this happen to 2 of my girls. I didnt know at the time with my first girl that is was very likely ZGT. We thought it was a regular facial abscess -which are difficult on their own. We had it lanced and drained (which I dont recommend with ZGT, but we had no idea at the time.). She went down hill quickly after that and we had to make the decision to PTS.

Wish I had a more positive experience to share. Very sorry youre going through this. Sending good thoughts your way. :heart: