Author Topic: Revolution and the vets office  (Read 1081 times)

Offline zoocrazy

Revolution and the vets office
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:28:22 PM »
Hi,

I just got 2 rats on 11/07, Mo and Chester, and they seemed a bit itchy but figured it was just grooming because I have not had rats for over a year and could not remember how often they really groomed. I noticed that Mo had a couple scabs on the back of his ears like he had been itching more than he should so I double checked around his rump and found brownish red longer kind of cigar shaped things running around. I was worried it was mites but from further research it seems at though it is lice. Which I have heard lice are nice so I know it will not be too difficult to get rid of them. I went to the vet today and I ended up waiting over 1.5 hours to see a vet for them to look at them for about 5 minutes and then go look up in their textbook what they may have and what to do. She did not even barely go through their fur and said she was only 90% sure that it was lice. I had to show her what I was looking at and it was pretty ridiculous, they also charged 38.50 pet rat. Is this normal for vets?

Anyways, she was wanting to give me ivermectin which I know I could have gotten from a feed store and done dosage that way. I told her revolution makes me more comfortable, however no local pet stores carry it and I had to order from 1-800-petmeds. Does anyone know how long they usually take to get vet approval? She gave me a prescription for 1 tube of 15mg revolution. Is this sufficient? on the petmeds site they only sell a 3 pack. Is there anything anyone knows about that I can do in the mean time to give them some relief?

They currently live in a single level critter nation in my room next to my bed. Once I receive the meds and get them medicated I know I need to completely strip and wash their fleece cage liners and hammocks on a super hot cycle and use bleach water to clean the whole cage. I was planning to strip my bed and wash that on a super hot wash as well and possibly try to see if I can find this spray I once found that was in the bird section of petsmart that was a lice mite spray to spray down the carpet around their cage.  Would you guys recommend I do anything else?

Sorry that this is so long. I am just worried about my new babies! :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Thanks,
Chelsea

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Revolution and the vets office
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 11:33:32 PM »
You will most likely need to buy a three pack if you order through an online service. You can often get just a single tube if you purchase from a vet's office, because they will break open a box and sell the tubes individually. But they are not prepackaged this way for retail sale.

One tube should be sufficient. Using the 6 mg/kg recommended dosage and the cat/kitten revolution concentration of 60 mg/mL, it works out that you take the rat's weight in grams and divide by 10,000 to get the amount of revolution in mL. So for a 100 gram rat, you need .01 mL, 200 gram rat: .02 mL, 500 g rat: .05 mL etc. The 15 mg tube has .25 mL, so you should have plenty enough for dosing two rats.

The Revolution will last for longer than the lifecycle of the lice, so you don't have to worry as much about thoroughly cleaning everything with regard to reinfection, because the meds will still be effective after the last egg hatches. However, a good cleaning might help clear the environment of the lice faster, leading to a faster recovery. So do clean everything, but don't be super concerned about making sure it is all thoroughly disinfected. I don't think you need to bleach to clean the cage, but if you do decide to go this route, make sure to do it when the rats are not in the room and make sure to completely rinse and ventilate the room before returning the rats. Likewise, I would not use bird mite/lice sprays in the rats' environment as these often contain chemicals like pyrethrins and permethrins that are toxic to rats. Since the Revolution will last for the life cycle of the lice, a good cleaning is all you should need. And if you do end up getting a three pack, you can always treat a second time after 30 days have passed just to be certain, but the single treatment should be enough except in the worst infestations.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »
Good for you for speaking up and rejecting the Ivermectin. You could've gone that route for $5 on your own. It's a good, cheap route but the weekly baths and deep cleaning are a ton of work. Revolution seems like it would be so much easier. Is it odd to anyone else that this vet doesn't stock Revolution?

As for the vet charges, all of the vets that I've found in my area that treat exotics charge at least $70-80 just to walk in the door. Perhaps they wouldn't charge as much if I had a more regular relationship with them and I told them exactly what I needed beforehand, but the $38.50, while totally not awesome given the absolute lack of work they did for you (you basically did all the work), doesn't sound ridiculously out of step with what other vets charge.

Are there any other vets in your area that perhaps specialize in exotics? This one doesn't seem incredibly impressive.

Offline zoocrazy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 02:53:50 PM »
Thank you for the responses. I have found an exotics vet that I will be calling for any future visits these boys may need. I had 2 females that I used to take to this current vet office and they did wonderful when one of them needed a spay and tumor removal and the other had a pituitary tumor. It wasn't the same vet but I was sort of desperate to get the prescription so I can get the treatment started. Bugs really irk me and my girls never had an issue.

The only thing the vet wrote for dosage was 1 drop on each boy and then repeat 10 to 14 days after. I really appreciate the help with the dosage considering I am not confident in what the vet wrote down. I have so far called 3 vets around here and none of them have revolution which is why I had to order online.

Once I receive the meds I will just do a normal deep cleaning and move on then. I am just happy that this should be over soon. Thank you again!

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 03:38:54 PM »
The only thing the vet wrote for dosage was 1 drop on each boy and then repeat 10 to 14 days after. I really appreciate the help with the dosage considering I am not confident in what the vet wrote down.

The Rat Guide has dosing instructions and it recommends the following; "The rat should be checked after two weeks for any evidence of continued infestation. In some instances a second treatment (following a 30 day interval) may be needed. Rarely, and only by veterinary assessment, may it become necessary to dose at a two week interval."

From what I've read, Revolution often does the trick in one treatment. Based on the Rat Guide's instructions, I might only dose them a second time if absolutely necessary.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 06:10:46 PM »
I agree - I would not dose again any earlier than 30 days - and then, only if it is needed. 10 to 14 days seems way too early unless something really significant is going on and your vet is knowledgeable about the situation and recommends an earlier treatment. Revolution is an off-label use in rats and many vets may not be familiar with how to dose it properly - especially if your vet usually prescribes Ivermectin. That said, the dosing recommendations on the rat guide are really flexible with regard to amount, so I think there is some leeway in what is considered safe, and you would probably be okay either way.

Offline zoocrazy

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 08:20:46 PM »
I am still waiting for my vet to approve the 1-800-petmeds order for the revolution, hopefully it is approved soon as I would really love to get treatment going. I am definitely not confident in the vets dosage so I do believe that I will be going by The Rat Guide's dosage recommendations and only treating if necessary after 30 days.  Thank you guys for the responses!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
I would tend to follow the Rat Guide instructions that Michael quoted, unless you feel that the infestation really needs a second treatment after only two weeks.  You have vet authorization to do so, but the vet in question doesn't sound all that familiar with rats, so I wouldn't rush to follow her advice.  On the other hand, according to Lilspaz68, who has a great deal of experience rescuing rats, Revolution is very safe and pretty hard to overdose, so I don't see how you could cause the rats any serious harm by following the vet's instructions.  Good luck!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline zoocrazy

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 01:33:13 AM »
I am planning to recheck them in another week. The boys are almost 10 weeks old and when they weighed them at the vet on 11/25 they only weighed 25 grams and 23.5 grams so the dosage was kind of weird there. I dosed with a small drop as per the instructions that the vet gave as I did not have a syringe that would go that small and since I was told it was a really safe product I did not worry too much.  They still seem to stop and itch when playing but not nearly as much as before I gave the medicine. I haven't seen anymore of the lice on them so I am hoping it is working.

The only other problem I have is that when Chester gets excited he almost makes like a grunting noise and sometimes will stop like he has the hiccups and make small almost chirpy noises while slightly jerking forward, which of course to me means another trip to the vet for respiratory check. I will be taking them to the exotics vet that is relatively close to me but a little more expensive. I know this will be worth it to make sure these boys are in better health.

Thank you all for the input I really appreciate it  :thumbsup2:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 08:35:27 PM »
Rats do get hiccups, so that may be all that it is.  They usually go away soon after they start.  Usually distracting the rat helps stop them.  Different things can trigger hiccups in different rats; I remember being surprised to read a post here on GM about a rat's hiccuping happiness.  But from the responses, it seemed that was fairly common.  Ratties! :doh:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline zoocrazy

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 08:51:02 PM »
Turns out Chester has a respiratory infection. The new vet put him on a 0.2 mls dose of  SMZ TMP every 12 hours for 21 days. His noises have stopped though and he seems like he is able to breathe a lot better. I think we are finally on the right track to making these boys healthy!  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 10:39:05 PM »
Keep an eye on their progress. SMZ is usually not effective for myco-based respiratory infections in rats (which are the most common), but it can be effective for other causes of respiratory infections. If the SMZ doesn't do the trick, you may want to ask the vet to try something else. They are young rats, so the vet may be trying to avoid Baytril, which may cause problems in rats under 4 months old, but there are other options, like azithromycin, that are safe in younger rats and may be more effective if myco is in play.