Author Topic: OMG FLEAS!!!! 2 questions  (Read 938 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
OMG FLEAS!!!! 2 questions
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:06:43 AM »
I DON'T believe it! Our ragdoll Mei-Mei has fleas. Haven't checked the old Maine Coon Murphy yet. So the diarrhea I've been seeing may be WORMS!!! Indoor cats always, rat population on revolution and we've only had five rats for months. HOW DID THEY GET IN? I haven't had fleas since San Francisco 20 years ago! I hate parasites.

Will get them to the vet for revolution, flea shampoo and stool checks.

1. But as I clip them down, is there something I can put on a living flea in to kill it when I find it in the coat?
2. In SF we would take the cats for a long drive as we did a flea bomb. If we take the cats and rats for a long drive, is it safe to bring the rats back into where flea bombs have been set off? Or should I skip the bombs.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: OMG FLEAS!!!! 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 12:35:49 AM »
Dawn dish soap actually does an admirable job of killing fleas...

How much carpet do you have?  The alternative to bombs is diatomaceous earth and lots of vacuuming...

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 03:43:24 PM »
Thanks, Marybelle. We clipped the ragdoll down, and I found maybe 5-6 with the flea comb although I know there are always more than you see. The first dose seems to have killed what was left on her. Murphy only had a bit of flea dirt and I only found one live on him so I did not clip him down, just dosed him. Today I can't find anything live. So we seem to have caught it pretty early. I feel bad because I sleep in a room with the rats and spend my time with them, and the rest of the family hangs with the cats. With Walmart retail overnight work I have not even touched the cats for weeks or I would have caught it sooner. Flea dirt is a very distinctive feel.

I wonder if the girls have friends with cats/fleas they could have brought home on their clothes.

We have hardwood floors and only a few rugs, which are the rubber-backed carpet runner type like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Skid-resistant-Carpet-Runner-Denim-Blue-6-Ft-X-27-In-Many-Other-Sizes-to-Choose-From/112436909 Do you think mopping/vacuuming will be enough? OR should we get some d, earth to sprinkle on the runners?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
I'd do the D earth, just in case.  But yes, it sounds like you caught it early.  :) Hooray for that!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 01:10:12 PM »
WHAAAT? We took stool samples in to be checked for each cat, and the cat vet wouldn't check the samples without doing an exam on each cat. This being the vet that already sold us the flea medication. They also said stool checks don't include a check for the worms most commonly carried by fleas!

Is there a healthy natural way to deworm?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »
For tapeworms?  Not really...  You could try some food-grade diatomaceous earth, but I don't know if it's effective against tapes.

Has the vet seen your cats in the last year?  If so, then they shouldn't have a problem checking a stool sample.  So weird.  They are right though.  Tapes are usually diagnose by finding the shed eggs near where the cat sleeps, or around the cats bum.  They look like a small piece of rice, or a sesame seed.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:24:40 PM »
We now know why we found just a few live fleas on our cat one time, and one a second time. My eldest's boyfriend's grandma has terrible fleas in her house, and when they'd visit grandma on the way out of town to bring her home for break, they'd have a few hitchhikers on their clothes. Crazy. So we're just treating monthly like we did in San Fran.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 10:10:48 PM »
We now know why we found just a few live fleas on our cat one time, and one a second time. My eldest's boyfriend's grandma has terrible fleas in her house, and when they'd visit grandma on the way out of town to bring her home for break, they'd have a few hitchhikers on their clothes. Crazy. So we're just treating monthly like we did in San Fran.

Aha!  Mystery solved!  LOL