Author Topic: In memoriam John (approx. 12/15/14--11/26/16)  (Read 552 times)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
In memoriam John (approx. 12/15/14--11/26/16)
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:22:40 AM »
My beautiful sweet John passed away at the end of November from congestive heart failure.  He had been steadily weakening, but seemed alert and in good spirits when I left to see my mother in Connecticut.  When I returned the following day, however, he was weak and gasping for breath and clearly suffering, so after a quick consultation with the vet on call at my regular practice, I brought him to the e-vet to be put to sleep.

John was part of a trio of boys I adopted in 2015 to keep my beautiful sweet Catherine company.  James is about two months younger than Peter and John were.  The latter two were apparently littermates, and I suspect that James is a full brother from a later litter, since he and John looked like twins (apart from their coloration) and they both had/have the same wasting and debilitation of the hind end.  I named these three after the apostles of the same names, because they had similar personalities.  Peter was rash and impetuous, James and John strongly took after their namesakes, whom Jesus called the "sons of thunder" because they were always arguing.  My James and John liked to pounce on and power-groom each other.  They were very loud about it, too, with lots of squeaking involved, so the moniker of "sons of thunder" applied well to them, too.  They taught the West Side Highway boys to do the same thing, so even though James is now very old and not very active, the cage is still just as rowdy when this trio was in its heyday.

At the time I adopted these three boys, Catherine was despondent over the recent loss of her sister, and the arrival of the trio perked her up considerably.  Once she was neutered and could live safely with the boys, I introduced them, and John became her special friend.  He would follow her around and keep trying to sniff or lick her lady-bits, and although she tried to appear annoyed by the attention, you could tell that she secretly enjoyed it.   I would often find the two of them cuddling together in a hammock or the space pod, and John always kept following her around during during out time.  When she died, John was very sad, and it was his relationship with James that kept him going.  When my beautiful sweet Chico came to spend his final months with us, John adopted him as he had Catherine, following him around and cuddling with him.  I noticed that he was very gentle with Chico, seeming to sense that quiet, sweet Chico wasn't up to the roughhousing he and James were used to.  Chico's death in June was another blow to poor John.

It was very hard not seeing the ratties for nearly three months this summer.  I think they were on the verge of forgetting me by the time I was able to take them back home.  We managed to get reacquainted, however, and at least John and I had some sweet time together before the end.  He never let his hind end degeneration or his breathing problems keep him from climbing all over the cage.  He hated taking medicine by syringe, but was completely unfazed by injections--didn't even seem to feel them.  He maintained a positive attitude right up to the end, and even at the last, when too weak to move, he still bruxed faintly as I held him.  This is another rat who is going to leave a huge hole behind.  I miss him terribly.

Left to right:  John, Catherine, Peter, and James, in better days.

What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: In memoriam John (approx. 12/15/14--11/26/16)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:40:49 AM »
I am so sorry.  *hugs*

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »
So sorry to hear this. John was such a sweetie. I wish my vet had been able to diagnose the CHF. I feel bad we put him through unnecessary meds... :-(
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:16:56 PM »
My condolences. Very sorry to hear another wonderful rattie has gone home to the bridge. He sounded like a special little guy.  :'( Rest easy John. I like to think him and Catherine are together once more. :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
 :'( I'm so sorry to hear this.

Offline purple rat

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:22:24 PM »
so sorry for the loss of John -- sounds like he was a real sweetheart :heart:
proud mama of Spock, Merlin, Goober & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 08:46:57 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I'm still hurting from the loss, and it's clear that James is not long for this world, either.  Tomorrow may be the day.

And in other rat news, I just learned that Wimbley from martymousehouse.com succumbed to his PT a few weeks ago--a bitter loss, because he was a real sweetheart.  It's just so hard to say goodbye to these little guys!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n