Author Topic: My rat is still lethargic after meds  (Read 726 times)

Offline ratsareausomepets

My rat is still lethargic after meds
« on: December 12, 2016, 01:43:55 PM »
Hi everyone!
I have a (neutered) male rat who is 2 years and 4 months old.
7 months ago, he went to the vet for noisy breathing and lethargy and he was cured with 1 month of baytril and doxy.
He had been slowly declining over the past few months, since his breathing, appetite and coordination were good I attributed it to age.
Over the last 3 days he sharply declined.

What he has: 1) He has a limp/energyless feel when picked up. 2) He spends most of his time sitting on a row of toilet paper rolls and sleeping with his nose near the bars. 3) He makes quick movements. I'd for instance put something like a plate of food on the rolls and after taking a few licks he'd quickly shove it off the toilet paper. 4) His back wobbles a little from side to side as he tries to drift to sleep, but he sometimes gets woken up by that because he loses his preferred foting on the toilet paper (rolls of toilet paper are like a big couch for rats). 5) His chest heaves more than usual after he expends energy, he has to take a "breather". 5) Though he spends some time in his lixit, if I put him in it or a box he will often rush out of it to go to the toilet paper. 6) His tail is cool and his tail has some little blood marks.

Symptoms that show what  he doesn't have: 1) His coordination seems good, he can pick up blocks and eat, he does this once every 2 days. 2) His teeth are nice and short. 3) He doesn't make any breathing noises. 4) He will passionately lick and bite the syringe feeding him ensure and he doesn't seem to be affected after eating a lot of it (5 ml).

WHAT THE VET SAID: I went to a new exotic vet. The vet did an exam and said eveything seems fine. His lungs sound a little harsh but not too bad. She suggested it was pneumonia. I asked if maybe it could be Heart Failure? She said it is possible and she'll give me baytril/doxy and lasix - injectable to try out. But she said that rats don't really get heart disease. And she is not sure if the lasix injectable can be effective orally.

All the meds are from what I have in the house, besides for the lasix which is from the vet. The baytril is 2.27% injectable. The minocycline is capsules of 50 mg. The amoxicillin is capsules of 250 mg. The Lasix is injectable with unknown amount of furesomide.

Medications He Is On To Date: Baytril - Since Saturday, dec 10, night. At the lowest recomended dose 5 mg, and I upped it a little today. (twice a day as with all meds). Amoxicillin - Since Sunday afternoon, dose 10 mg each time. Lasix - since Sunday afternoon. I'm giving .1 ml. Hawthorne - An supposedly powerful herbal diuretic, since saturday night.

His weight: 675 grams

I have not given him doxycycline, actually it is minocycline (basically a clone of doxy). Should I put him on it? He will need to be on it for like 6 weeks.

He has not shown any noticeable effect yet. But at least no more decline.

Should I up the dosages? Add more medications?

I'd really appreciate any and all help!

Re: My rat is still lethargic after meds
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 08:41:54 PM »
This is a really complicated puzzle!

UPDATE: He is showing some improvement. He seems a slightly more alert and active. His appetite is perhaps better. He is certainly not declining!

So I'm going to start him on minocycline as well.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 09:24:45 PM »
Still unsure about the minocycline actually. Can a rat be on 3 antibiotics the same time?
Plus 2 heart medications?

I made a mistake on the weight. It used to be 410g. His current weight is 360 g.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 09:44:25 PM »
I really wish I could help, but I would not know what to say.  I hope someone comes along with a good answer for you!

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:59:50 AM »
I'd honestly talk to your vet further about the meds, that's a hefty combination especially with the lasix and the herbal diuretic.  Lasix itself is a VERY STRONG diuretic.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 12:23:09 AM »
My Gribouilli had congestive congenital heart failure...she was born with a weak/defective heart. In the last two months of her life she was on three antibiotics (doxycycline, Baytril, and amoxicillin) as prevention because she had fluids in her lungs. She was also on lasix and enalapril; there were no drugs interaction issues. Just don't give all the drugs at the same time. I hope your rat is getting better soon.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 08:25:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses. It is nice to know that people care.

He was put to sleep.

He wasn't responding to any meds, he stopped eating, his skin was getting very pale, his chest heaving with each heartbeat was getting worse.

At least he is no longer in pain.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 10:15:26 PM »
I'm so sorry. But you know that you did the bests things for him. He knows also. That is the hardest kind of love.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 09:17:45 PM »
So sorry for your loss. You did the most compassionate thing for him.

Offline Alpha1

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:05:12 AM »
So sad to hear he was put to sleep. But like you've said, at least he is not in any pain anymore.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 07:59:51 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  You tried so hard, I wish you could have seen some better results.  But it was probably just his time.  Rats are vulnerable to so many problems, even ones from well-bred, healthy lines.  But you did your best for your beautiful sweet boy, and he appreciated it.  It probably hurts a lot right now,  but I hope it is some consultation to reflect that he has not truly left this world as long as he lives in your heart.  : heart:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n