Author Topic: Ways to Make Warm Air Humidifier Safer?  (Read 385 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Ways to Make Warm Air Humidifier Safer?
« on: December 20, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »
Vet recommended we add a humidifier. BigBen had recommended this too. The rats already have a cool air filter which seems to chill them a bit when fan is too high. So I got a warm air one. It says "up to" 95% germ free. Is there something we can add to the water, or cleaning methods to use, to make for safer operation? Thx
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
Re: Ways to Make Warm Air Humidifier Safer?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 10:57:16 AM »
I'm not sure about adding anything to cut down on germs but, from experience, I would recommend cleaning it often. At least as often as the manual recommends (if not more). I once got myself really sick from letting it go too long.

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »
I switch the water out of my vaporizer daily.  There should be instructions on the humidifier as to how often the water should be changed.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »
You could use distilled water only or add a little chlorhexidine to the water- maybe 1/2 teaspoon for a gallon. It is very safe. I use chlorhexidine to disinfect all my rat stuff.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 05:41:07 PM »
You could use a little hydrogen peroxide too- it disintegrates into oxygen and water. Very safe too. Between full cleaning I spray hydrogen peroxide on the pans and wipe it off, wait a little so it is fully dry, put fresh litter in and right back into the cage. Never had a problem, or a single sneeze.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 08:00:37 AM »
Great to know. Thank you!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 12:37:49 PM »
Holmes Bionaire makes a product you can put in the water to inhibit bacterial growth.  I don't know what's in it, but it has never troubled the rats' lungs, so far as I could tell, nor mine either (and my lungs are pretty sensitive, too).  You don't need much, and I am still working on the bottle I bought a couple of years ago.  Be sure to use bleach or some other disinfectant (a mixture of peroxide and vinegar will form peracetic acid, which is an excellent disinfectant) when you clean the thing--that's very important.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n