Author Topic: Diffusing oils around rats - is it safe?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Bathos

Diffusing oils around rats - is it safe?
« on: December 28, 2016, 10:06:13 PM »
I just got an oil diffuser.  I'd like to use it in the same (large) room my rats are in.  I know they have sensitive lungs though.  Is it safe to use a diffuser in the same room as my rats?  It's about 20 feet away from them.  Anyone have personal experiences they can share?  Thanks!

Updated to add that it is the active kind of diffuser that is part diffuser part humidifier

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Diffusing oils around rats - is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 03:18:31 AM »
If it's the sort of scent that gives people allergies, then it will cause problems for your rats.  Most volatile organic compounds are a problem for them.  For me, the scents Yankee Candles uses trigger an allergic reaction when I go anywhere near the candle aisle of the supermarket--and that's with the candles all sealed in cellophane, no less.  I assume the scents you would be using in your diffuser are similar.  Even something as innocuous as a Timothy hay hideout has caused me and my rats to sneeze copiously.

Better not to risk it.  The problem is not that the scent might make your rats sneeze, but that their lungs scar very easily, and the damage never heals.  As an asthmatic, I know from experience how scary it is not to be able to catch your breath, and I wouldn't knowingly inflict that on any creature.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  2m2f21r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Bathos

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »
I have the same issues with being allergic to many scents.  I'm not allergic to these essential oils and I'm looking to use the following essential oils in the diffuser:

Eucalyptus
Rosemary
Clove bud
Lemon
Cinnamon bark

And possibly
Peppermint
Ylangylang

Offline SarahD

• EARPS Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:26:46 AM »
I'm a Young Living rep and while I definitely see the advantages for people, I am still hesitant using essential oils in pets.  I do have access to scientific studies that I'm happy to share.

Personally and anecdotally, I've been using Thieves in a diffuser in the room my URI rats are in and it does seem to help.  I also use an ozone air purifier and open the window as much as possible.  I do seem to see an improvement with Thieves.  However, there are several essential oils that I would not recommend for use around rats (most specifically, any pine).

With that being said, without scientific proof of advantages, it is always better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:28:54 AM by SarahD »
mom of 7 rats
RVT at an all exotic specialty clinic
Founder of EARPS, Inc.

Offline LuvRats2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
I have to respond as someone who has developed multiple chemical sensitivities. There are some smells that just a miniscule amount can cause me to feel horrible whereas most people don't even notice (perfumes, most chemicals, strong spices, onion and garlic, and yes - essential oils make me ill). I'm saying this because if this is even a fraction of how sensitive ratties' noses can be, I would highly recommend keeping them in a room with as pure and fresh of air as possible.
What doesn't bother people may in fact be a high trigger for them. Better safe than sorry as some have said. Hope that helps!

LR2

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 05:14:03 PM »
I have the same issues with being allergic to many scents.  I'm not allergic to these essential oils and I'm looking to use the following essential oils in the diffuser:

Eucalyptus
Rosemary
Clove bud
Lemon
Cinnamon bark

And possibly
Peppermint
Ylangylang

I would avoid peppermint as it is a rat repellent. Eucalyptus might be a problem too.