Author Topic: Theophylline availability?  (Read 978 times)

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Theophylline availability?
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:26:55 PM »
Has anyone had issues acquiring theophylline elixir (bronchodilator)? My vet recently wrote a prescription for this for one of my boys but warned that people have been having trouble finding it. I tried all the local pharmacies and none have it. It was suggested to me that it may have been discontinued. The veterinary compounding pharmacy said they could compound an equivalent product for me and so I am doing that, but I was wondering if this has been a problem for anyone else and if there are any alternatives out there.

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
Re: Theophylline availability?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:07:41 AM »
Yes my vet in MD also said something about this a few months back.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 12:42:28 AM »
Two options that I know of...first is a compounding pharmacy in your area.  Have them make it fairly concentrated, otherwise it's tough to get them to take it.  If they don't have theophlline, they will have aminophylline.  Here is a chart with dosing info:  http://ratguide.com/meds/respiratory_drugs/theophylline.php

I have also taken the Rx and ordered it from UniversalDrugstore.com from Canada.  It takes 10-14 days to arrive in the US, but a bottle is only $30 and will last your rats forever:
https://www.universaldrugstore.com/medications/Theolair+Liquid/80mg%2f15ml

I also use that pharmacy for several human meds as does my physician.  They are reliable.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »
Thanks, I am having it compounded at a veterinary compounding pharmacy - unfortunately, I didn't realize that they closed at 3pm on Saturday and they are closed on Sunday and closed today for New Years, so I haven't been able to pick it up. They are compounding it at the strength my vet recommended. I hope he will take it as is - it will be beef flavored, which the rats usually like. However, I am having a difficult time getting him to take the Lasix (he absolutely hates it and I am not sure if the Lasix tastes terrible or if he is just difficult - I usually am very good at administering drugs with a syringe orally). I am concerned about this because he gets so worked up about it that he then goes into a state where he has trouble breathing and I am afraid I am doing more harm than good. I have even tried giving in food to avoid him having any kind of attack (which I normally am against), but he won't touch anything tainted with the Lasix. I hope the theophylline is easier. I guess I will find out tomorrow when the pharmacy opens again.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
Im not sure about the theophy. but when I gave mine lasix I remember having trouble getting them to take it. What I had to do was put something tasty on the end of the syringe and quickly squirt the meds into their mouth before they noticed when the tasty stuff disappears they get nasty stuff. They may catch on after a few times so try switching around which tasty foods you put on the tip of the syringe if you can. Cool whip was a favorite. Prepared oatmeal was another good one. Best wishes. :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Alpha1

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 08:44:57 AM »
Im not sure about the theophy. but when I gave mine lasix I remember having trouble getting them to take it. What I had to do was put something tasty on the end of the syringe and quickly squirt the meds into their mouth before they noticed when the tasty stuff disappears they get nasty stuff. They may catch on after a few times so try switching around which tasty foods you put on the tip of the syringe if you can. Cool whip was a favorite. Prepared oatmeal was another good one. Best wishes. :heart:

That is a genius trick. I remember having a hard time trying to get mine to take Lasix.

For theophylline alternatives, you may try aminophylline and oxytriphylline. My vet advised me to check them out if I can;t find theophylline.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »
The methylxanthines all act similarly, so a substitute shouldn't be too hard to find.  Theophylline and aminophylline are equivalents; the latter turns into the former in the body, as I recall.  (The Rat Guide discusses all of this.)

Vonda, I had a boy who reacted just like your guy to medications--even if he liked the taste, the sight of the syringe near his mouth seemed to stress him out.  A subcutaneous injection, on the other hand, was fine--he never even seemed to feel it.  I persuaded the vet to give me doses of Lasix in hypodermic syringes (they wouldn't sell me a whole ampoule, perhaps it would have been too expensive or too wasteful), and Johnny was fine with getting it injected (I just pinched the skin on his back and jabbed the needle in).  It eased his congestion, and he remained unstressed.  Good luck with your guy! :heart:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline TGQ

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 11:00:29 AM »
One of mine was on theophylline about 2 years ago. We had to go to a compounding pharmacy for it and it was quite pricey.
My rat children:  Storm, Charlie, and Nimbus

Rest in Peace Echo, Skye, Murdock, Dirk, Duck, & Weetzie

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »
I know this is a little late to the party... but one of my boys is on theo. My vet (Chicago Exotics) suggested Diamond Back drugs, a compounding pharmacy. The theo runs about 30 bucks for a bottle that lasts like 3 months. Also had azithromyacin (sp?) from Diamond Back - also around 30 bucks, compared to 70 at Walgreens. Their customer service is great too!
Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »
I know this is a little late to the party... but one of my boys is on theo. My vet (Chicago Exotics) suggested Diamond Back drugs, a compounding pharmacy. The theo runs about 30 bucks for a bottle that lasts like 3 months. Also had azithromyacin (sp?) from Diamond Back - also around 30 bucks, compared to 70 at Walgreens. Their customer service is great too!

I am also in the Chicago area and I did end up getting it compounded by Mark Drugs (veterinary compounding pharmacy) for a reasonable price.