Author Topic: Toddler/kids toys for rats  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Nrrdgrrl

• <3
Toddler/kids toys for rats
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:36:09 PM »
I've noticed a couple people put kids toys in their rats cages. Is there a certain type that works better? Do you find the rats enjoy it? I found a fisher price castle today I wanted to use for my rats, would it be ok?

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/fisher-price/dept-7-playsets/j-great-adventures/1-pics/bases/fpt6226-fp7110-castle.JPG

Splinter (2.5), Newt and Picket (3 weeks) my rats :)
Calico- 13 year old kittie Galaxie- 5 year old sheltie

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Toddler/kids toys for rats
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »
Rats can enjoy just about anything.  Cardboard boxes with doors cut in them and empty tissue boxes make great hideouts, as do milk cartons and clementine boxes.  A roll of toilet paper can give endless hours of amusement--except, of course, for whoever gets to try to clean it off the bars of the cage, lol!  Empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls are also great to play with (you can also hide treats inside them and watch the ratties go crazy getting inside).  Job-lot stores are a great place to find useful items.  Those open-work plastic cat balls with bells inside are fun for rats, too; just don't get them anything with catnip in it (it's supposed to be bad for rats).

The castle looks like a lot of fun.  But don't spend a lot of money on it, because it's going to be gnawed.  That said, however, your rats should have a ball with it.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Nrrdgrrl

• <3
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
Thanks! Yes I give the rats lots of recycled things for toys! I had just seen some people using toys and wanted to make sure it was ok before I did it! Lol. I got the castle for $5 at a thrift store!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
That's a great deal.  Let us know how the ratties like the castle!  I bet they'll have lots of fun.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:56:09 AM by BigBen »
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Nrrdgrrl

• <3
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »
I will for sure! My new babies are coming home in 3 weeks so I'll be sure to let you know then! Splinter I think is two old to really explore it, but he might surprise me!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
Photos?
--Best, Mountaintop--