Author Topic: The last drop in the syringe  (Read 832 times)

Offline ratsareausomepets

The last drop in the syringe
« on: January 07, 2017, 11:12:14 PM »
I'm giving my rat baytril, the dose is .13 ml each time.

So every drop counts.

Should I be removing the air bubble (by turning the syringe upside down and squeezing out air)?
Should I squirt the syringe with force a couple of times to be sure I get out the last drop?

I am confused because I'm not sure if the syringe starts measuring from the narrow part or from the wide part.

I searched google but I haven't found the answer.

What do YOU do? :BlueDumboSmile: :help:

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: The last drop in the syringe
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
Usually what I do is draw up the meds in the syringe and turn it tip up and tap on it by flicking my finger at it until the air bubble ends up in the tip. Then I push the air out and draw back up to the proper line. However, if you do that, you will be left with meds in the syringe because the plunger does not go all the way down to the tip. If your vet gives you the exact amount of meds you need, you will end up short and if not, you will be wasting some meds. Technically, if the air bubble stays at the top (back end) of the syringe, when you squirt into the mouth, the air bubble is left in the tip. However, I don't like to take the chance that I do not give the full dose, so I usually err on the side of wasting some meds. I wouldn't squirt several times into the rat's mouth unless the rat is very tolerant.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
Most vets give a little extra to compensate for what is left in the syringe each time.  If you draw in more than the dose and then squirt the excess back into the bottle, there won't be any air to worry about.  The syringe is calibrated to make sure the right dose comes out, regardless of what's left in the tip.

With hypodermic needles, you definitely don't want any air.  In the early seventies, when my mother was getting injections for her allergies, she showed me and my sister the proper way to draw medicine from an ampoule into a hypodermic syringe.  (Mom was a nurse.)  You would stick the needle up through a rubber lid into the inverted ampoule and draw in just a bit more than the dose. Then, with the needle still pointing up, you would flick the syringe with your finger and then squirt out the air until just a drop of the medicine came out the tip of the needle.  I assume that the same principle applies with feeding syringes:  get the air out, and you'll have the right dose.

I'm not a vet, however, so if you want to be doubly sure, call your vet's office and ask.  They won't mind--that's precisely the sort of question they should be happy to answer.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  2m2f21r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline ratsareausomepets

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:08:47 PM »
So basically after removing the air bubble,  it is best to leave that tiny bit extra in the tip?

I think that makes sense because... I measured the distance between the 2-3, 1-2, 3-4, 0-1 (from when it becomes wide) etc and they are all the same. So why should somebody who wants .1 ml get .1 ml plus whatever is in the tip...

I hope I explained it correctly.

Thanks for responses, I appreciate it!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
It starts measuring from the narrow part, not the wide part. Everything you get into the syringe is counted. If you get bubbles it is probably because you don't put the whole tip into the med when you take in the med. the only downside to put the whole tip into the med is that some med will stick to the outside of the tip and so your rat will get a tiny bit more med which is ok. Vets usually give a little more because of that.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »
Actually, the narrow tip is not included in the measurement. The measurement begins where the plunger starts (zero) and the amount of med in the syringe is indicated by where the plunger ends up (assuming a steady stream of meds into the syringe). Because the plunger can't reach into the tip, this portion will be filled with air when you begin. That air becomes an air bubble that is drawn up the syringe next to the plunger. The air bubble does not affect measurement because the meds from the tip replace the meds that should be in the air bubble. When you press the plunger, ideally the air bubble is left in the tip and the proper amount of meds is given to the rat. However, when fighting with a rat, it is possible the air bubble may move down the syringe leaving meds in the tip and administering air to the rat. Because of that, I try to remove the air bubble and accept that meds will be wasted in the tip.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
Actually, the narrow tip is not included in the measurement. The measurement begins where the plunger starts (zero) and the amount of med in the syringe is indicated by where the plunger ends up (assuming a steady stream of meds into the syringe). Because the plunger can't reach into the tip, this portion will be filled with air when you begin. That air becomes an air bubble that is drawn up the syringe next to the plunger. The air bubble does not affect measurement because the meds from the tip replace the meds that should be in the air bubble. When you press the plunger, ideally the air bubble is left in the tip and the proper amount of meds is given to the rat. However, when fighting with a rat, it is possible the air bubble may move down the syringe leaving meds in the tip and administering air to the rat. Because of that, I try to remove the air bubble and accept that meds will be wasted in the tip.

Oh I see what you mean. The syringes I use are different and the plunger actually reaches all the way into the tip! It actually reaches a tiny bit out of the syringe! Thanks:) I'll keep that in mind and will ask what kind of syringe next time! I actually always used the kind with the plunger going all the way into the tip.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:04:24 PM by ILoveMyRatties »

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »
My vet always provides the syringes, so I've never thought about all this.  Thanks for the discussion.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  2m2f21r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n