Author Topic: Lone rat after brother passed  (Read 434 times)

Offline jessicafennen

• My rats are smarter than me.
Lone rat after brother passed
« on: January 08, 2017, 11:59:09 PM »
In August I lost Louie. He lived a long life of an estimated 2.5 years, maybe more, but he left behind brothers Billy & Patrick. This week I lost Patrick at 2 years 3 months. Billy and Pat have been together since birth and have never been apart.

Some time after Louie died I tried introducing a third rat, Chester, into the group fearing Billy or Pat would be left alone. Both rats were aggressive to him each time I tried despite Chester being such a sweetie.

I want to know what I can do for Billy now. My heart is broken for him. How can I help him?
Current Craziness: Louie, Patrick, and Billy

RIP Cookie, Penelope, and Lilly

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Lone rat after brother passed
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »
I'm sorry for your losses.
You can try to reintroduce Chester to Billy. The dynamic is different now so it might be a successs. I use the carrier method of intro. A small cage with nothing but litter (not fleece), 2 water bottles, scattered rat blocks (no bowls). Everything new or super clean. Once in the cage, let them stay together unless there is blood involved. Do not separate them. Have a towel and water bottle spray ready in case they need to be separated. After a day, put them into a larger cage with nothing but what was in the smaller cage. If you have a DCN cage, use only half of it at that point. It always worked for me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:58:02 PM by ILoveMyRatties »

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:18:53 PM »
Stress bonds rats too. A car ride in a carrier. Carrier next to an ON vacuum. Final trick for 2 aggressives--introduce to clean cage with a blow dyer blowing away on top (not into the cage). Magic.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »
Stress bonds rats too. A car ride in a carrier. Carrier next to an ON vacuum. Final trick for 2 aggressives--introduce to clean cage with a blow dyer blowing away on top (not into the cage). Magic.

That's so interesting! I'll try next time I introduce new rats. Is it because they bond over what they sense like a common threat? Or because it distracts them from fighting or whatnot? Umm probably both. How did you think of that?

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:51:08 AM »
Mainely Rat Rescue recommends the car ride, as well, especially if you drive on a windy road with the radio turned up.  The other thing they suggest is putting the rats in the tub, with the water running and a platform for them to huddle together on as the water rises.  I've never tried the tub, but the car ride has worked for me, more than once.  Another trick is to smear them all with yoghurt, and by the time they finish grooming it all off one another, they will have bonded.

I think you're right, it's partly the distraction, and partly the common challenge.  Or the challenge is the distraction.  Or something.

What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n