Author Topic: Best grommets for rat hammocks?  (Read 71 times)

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Best grommets for rat hammocks?
« on: January 10, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
I'd like to make my own rat hammocks and use grommets to hang them. I'm confused as to what kind of grommets is best and won't rust. Also what size is best? Do you know a good site to buy them in bulk, like at least 100 grommets? I looked on Amazon and it was quite expensive for a dozen. I really appreciate any help:) I'm like very excited to start making all sorts of hammocks for my babies!!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Best grommets for rat hammocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:02:35 PM »
Try a fabric store, and see if the prices are any better.  The brand Joann's carries is called Dritz.  You might be able to find it on line, I don't know.

I gave up on grommets with my first mischief.  I was very proud of my first hammocks, but they were in the cage no more than ten minutes before they ended up on the floor, with all the grommets neatly removed and still hanging from the hooks!  My current rats might not do that, but I don't risk it--I just cut slits in the corners for the hangers to fit through.

I watched with great delight as my beautiful sweet Elizabeth went to work one afternoon on a hammock that was already hanging by diagonal corners (they seemed to like it that way, I never understood why).  She seemed so surprised when she removed the third grommet and was unceremoniously dumped on the floor of the cage.  It was hilarious! :cheeky:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  4m0f15r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »
Try a fabric store, and see if the prices are any better.  The brand Joann's carries is called Dritz.  You might be able to find it on line, I don't know.

I gave up on grommets with my first mischief.  I was very proud of my first hammocks, but they were in the cage no more than ten minutes before they ended up on the floor, with all the grommets neatly removed and still hanging from the hooks!  My current rats might not do that, but I don't risk it--I just cut slits in the corners for the hangers to fit through.

I watched with great delight as my beautiful sweet Elizabeth went to work one afternoon on a hammock that was already hanging by diagonal corners (they seemed to like it that way, I never understood why).  She seemed so surprised when she removed the third grommet and was unceremoniously dumped on the floor of the cage.  It was hilarious! :cheeky:

LOL that was funny. I wished I saw that! Rats are so funny! Did she stopped sabotaging the hammocks after that?

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
She did somewhat, but she was a chewer, and I sometimes felt, willfully destructive.  So was her mother. :doh:  I told them both more than once, it was lucky for them they were so cute!  Ratties!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  4m0f15r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline petunia

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:16:52 PM »

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:21:03 PM »
I get mine at tarp world
http://www.tarpsupply.com/grommets-eyelets.html

Thank you!!! Those are really good prices. May I ask you the size you use? Thanks:)