Author Topic: Perfectly healthy young boy rat won't clean his junk?  (Read 593 times)

Offline Nysander

Perfectly healthy young boy rat won't clean his junk?
« on: February 13, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »
Hello guys!
I have a 7 month old male Siamese rattie who for no reason I can figure out simply will not clean his penis. When he was about 4 months old he got a bad urinary infection and was peeing blood for about 30 hours. We got him on antibiotics right away and plenty of liquids and he got over the infection fine, but by the end of the first day where he was peeing bloody urine a very sizeable penis plug came out. Honestly this plug was practically larger than his penis.

Well he got over that incident fine but I recently thought to check him over again last week and to my dismay I found he had another very large plug wedged into his penis and totally filling up his foreskin.
After removing it you could see that the foreskin was slightly red/inflamed where it had been stretched by the plug. So far I haven't seen any sign of a urinary infection yet so I'm hoping I caught it just in time this time (but he'll be going on an antibiotic course anyway just in case as he's due for a course for a bit of URI anyway).

Basically though my question is have any of you ever experienced this before? He's only 7 months. Young, sprightly and fully capable of cleaning himself. No trouble with hind legs, no trouble with bending or reaching himself. He is the stockiest of his cage mates but he is by no means obese. I've seen him bend and groom the fur around the area with ease he just won't seem to actually clean his penis!
It's like he thinks it's gross and won't touch it. Lol. *sigh*

What is his problem? Lol. Have any of you dealt with a young, fit boy that won't acknowledge or clean his own penis? Did you end up having to constantly do it for him? Did you ever find out why he wouldn't?

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
Re: Perfectly healthy young boy rat won't clean his junk?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
He could honestly be cleaning it and has lots of discharge to make the extra plugs.  I'm sure he appreciates what you've done to help him out with this.  Honestly have no idea why he wouldn't be cleaning it unless it is painful for him to do so??

Talk to your rat vet for input??
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 03:46:23 PM »
Neutering him would most likely do the trick. A neutered rat is very unlikely to get penis plugs. I personally never heard of a neutered rat with a penis plug. That might not be what you had in mind but if everything else fails, that might be an option.

Offline Nysander

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 02:36:01 AM »
Thank you guys! Good points. ^^

I don't particularly want to neuter unless it becomes a regular problem and/or dangerous. I've had some very bad outcomes of neutering in the past and I prefer not to put them through the surgery if there are other options. I can help him clean if I have to but I do wish he would keep up with it himself. Lol.

He has a very prissy and whiny personality and I think past of the problem may stem from that. He constantly tries to get his way in every situation with the least amount of work ( snatching treats from cage mate's instead of doing his own tricks to earn them during training play time etc). He's pretty much a lazy bully and if the others touch him or his stuff he squeaks about it.  :yelcutelaugh: :BlueDumboBigEyes:

So honestly he's probably being lazy about cleaning himself as well. But he is also the most masculine in build and size so it would make sense if he also had a bit of "overproduction" due to hormones.

I'll be keeping an eye on him and keep the options in mind if it looks like we might have to take further measures. ^^