Author Topic: New Oxbow rat food  (Read 592 times)

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
New Oxbow rat food
« on: February 15, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=11472

Says its coming soon. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: New Oxbow rat food
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »
Is the current formula going to continue?  I think the idea of garden flavors is meant to appeal to us owners, but the real deal is whether the rats will eat it or not.  Remember that a lot of rats wouldn't touch the original flavor of Oxbow.  When they introduced the current flavor, it was a godsend.

My local supermarket sells these pasta ruffle things that my rat just love.  But a few years ago they came out with a "garden"-flavored version that my rats refuse to eat.  Thank goodness the regular pasta version has remained available!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  3m3f19r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:10:56 PM »
My thoughts were along the same lines, Big Ben, regarding the marketing appeal of "garden".
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »
My boys love the original flavor of Oxbow. I might try it, but I hope the current flavor stays.

On another note, I can't help, but chuckle at the no GMO part. Another way to say genetically modified is selectively breed. Tomatoes are part of the nightshade family. The only reason we can eat it is because we're selectively bred them to not be deadly to us.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:13:20 PM »
Umm I like that it is GMO free and that they add some nutritious ingredients...however I'm not sure about some of them like for instance orchard grass- that doesn't sound like something rats will like.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
Umm I like that it is GMO free and that they add some nutritious ingredients...however I'm not sure about some of them like for instance orchard grass- that doesn't sound like something rats will like.

I also wonder if it's something they can digest.  When I was first investigating getting rats, the rescue warned me to stay away from foods with hay in them (alfalfa or timothy) because rats can't digest them, and so they are just so much filler (they are perfectly safe for rats to eat, the rescue said, just useless in terms of rat nutrition).  I have no idea whether the same applies to orchard grass or not.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  3m3f19r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »
Interesting. I will have to find some time to look into the ingredients. I like the non-GMO part - which is surprising for a diet that contains soybeans. Interesting that the brown rice, which is the number one ingredient in the Adult Rat is missing completely in this one, but there is white rice instead, which doesn't seem like it would be as nutritious. The Menhaden Fish Meal is also not present, which I know will make some people happy as the safety of this ingredient has always been a question mark.

Offline SarahD

• EARPS Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:19:39 AM »
Nutritionally it's equivalent to the current oxbow adult.  It has extra flavors to make it more palatable to the picky rat.  I kind of have the inside scoop.
mom of 7 rats
RVT at an all exotic specialty clinic
Founder of EARPS, Inc.