Author Topic: Not sure where to post - question about ratteries  (Read 336 times)

Offline CLSut

Not sure where to post - question about ratteries
« on: March 28, 2017, 11:22:46 AM »
Hi all,

Things are pretty hectic in my life and will be for a fair bit of time, kind of precluding me from having any rat buddies for the foreseeable future. I have a Critter Nation in great shape and a ton of extra fleece, toys, and even a bag of unexpired, unopened Oxbow Regal Rat. I'll be moving twice in the next couple years and would like to not have to lug a heavy cage everywhere (plus a hospital cage and nebulizer). I refuse to throw it out because I know people look for these things all the time, but nobody in the St. Louis area is looking for rat cages right now.

Since I can't sell it, I would at least like to donate my supplies to nearby rattery but have been out of the fancy long enough that I'm not sure how people feel about the options near me. I'm looking in to either Windy Hill Rattery or Columbia Small Animal Rescue to reach out to and ask if they could use a cage. What are peoples thoughts/reviews here? Would this be helpful for these facilities?

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Re: Not sure where to post - question about ratteries
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:15:50 AM »
If the ratteries on your list aren't interested, you can probably find a shelter or rescue willing to take it. I know that where I used to live in VA, the local Humane Society, Animal Control, and SPCA all regularly took in small critters, and were often short on cage space for them.

They probably won't be able to pay for the cage, but most animal rescues are 501(c)3, which means you might be able to claim a tax deduction for your donation.