Author Topic: Rats and wires  (Read 281 times)

Offline RattyRodent

Rats and wires
« on: April 16, 2017, 10:42:05 PM »
We've been thinking about getting some new rats. It's been awhile since we've had young ones scurrying about and I'm starting to remember the problem of wires. Although we've managed to cover most of the electrical wires in our apartment, let's face it - the average home is loaded with them and it's hard to cover them all. Several wires had been chomped into and had to be patched up. I'm amazed they've never been electrocuted. Sometimes they've even managed to chew holes through wire covers. As they got older there was less of a tendency to chew, but now we'll be starting anew. Any advice?

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
Re: Rats and wires
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:13:12 AM »
My advice is, instead of total free range, get/make a play space for them.

I have a Grrreat Wall (which I have had since 1999), but apparently they don't make them anymore? I can't seem to find it. That's a shame...  :BlueDumboBigEyes: Their FB page hasn't been updated since 2012, and their web site is defunct. That stinks.

There are some decent-looking wire ones on Amazon (I searched "animal playpen"), or you can make one.

I've been out of the rat game for like five years, but just got some new girls this weekend, so I'm getting caught up. LOL! My house has a lot of nooks and crannies, and the previous owner was a DIY-er, but not a DI-finisher, so we have some gaps and unfinished spaces. I'd be terrified to lose them somewhere. So, designated play space it is. ;)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
Martin's makes a playpen that might work, if there are no more Grreat Walls to be had.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
I used to have a play pen made out of plywood (cut slits in the ends half way up the board and insert slits into each other). You can leave up or pull apart and store away.

Plywood is heavy and cumbersome, though. Coroplast works really well and is much lighter (but you do have to make sure the rats can't push their way under. You can ducttape the corners and fold away when not in use.

We created a dedicated rat room where all outlets and cords are off the ground and out of the way, but I realize this is not an option for many.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:12:07 AM »
I was fortunate enough to have three boys who were not chewers, who could be safely let to roam free.  They never troubled the lamp wires, and they really enjoyed stretching their legs (they had a particular way of bounding across the floor when they were happy).  Bartholomew is just a bit too mischievous to be trusted, and I haven't tried to let the West Side Highway boys roam, largely because they tend to go and hide when they are out; they just aren't very active anymore at their age.  I have had other rats that needed to be supervised every second; they only got to run around on the bed.  (I still have a couple of rat shirts left from those days, and I can still pretty much remember which girl made which hole.)

There are wire covers you can get:  I got some of those metal 'U' channels that mount to the baseboard or wall or whatever from the electrical section of Home Depot to cover the cable line, and a friend gave me some flexible plastic tubing for the computer and lamp wires.  I haven't seen the latter in the stores, however, so I don't know where it came from.  The rats have always seemed to behave themselves pretty well on the desk, except for my beautiful sweet Elizabeth, who found printer cables irresistible.  (There were several occasions on which I would have wrung her neck, if she hadn't been so adorable.  Ratties! :doh:)
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
We got sheets of cloroplast, and sets of velcro fasteners, from Home Depot. We connected the cloroplast sheets with 2 velcro "hinges" on each side. We made it huge so if all let out it can completely surround the outer walls of my room. When not using it folds up flat. 
--Best, Mountaintop--