Author Topic: Relocating for the Summer.  (Read 162 times)

Offline mightywhiskers

Relocating for the Summer.
« on: May 04, 2017, 02:07:31 PM »
Hi all,
This may have been asked elsewhere but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.
Basically I am going to be moving to live with my grandpa for 2-3 months. It's going to be me, my dog, and my 2 old men rats. I have a old rat manor that they will be living in, that i'm hoping will be large enough since I can't easily transport my critter nation. But the problem I have is that both of my rats are chewers and the cat carrier I use to take them to the vet already has a couple holes in it that are taped up (which is fine for the short distance to the vet but not a 20 hr car ride). I was looking for a wire cage that is around the same size as a cat carrier for the long drive, but very sturdy and inexpensive. I initially wanted to get a martin's because they look like exactly what I want but they are just so expensive. Is there another cage similar in strength to them that is less expensive? or would the martin's be something that would have just as high of a resale value?

I looked at the Kaytee Take Me With Travel Carrier the last time I was at a pet store and it was just so flimsy. Other than that they all seemed to be way too big. The martin's I looked at were the collapsable travel cages (not sure which size would be best).

My rats are 27 and 18 months and I'm going to be taking a break from fancying so I don't want to spend too much more than I need too. If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
Thank you for your help!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Relocating for the Summer.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »
Oh, your boys are so cute!  I love them. :heart:

I use a Grreat Choices Small Breeds Kennel as a rat carrier.  It is the smallest size, and is made of sturdy plastic.  I think I paid around $20 or $25 for it.  The holes are arranged in such a way that rats find it hard to get a purchase.  Although I have seen such carriers with holes gnawed in them, I doubt that your rats could do much damage during a trip such as you describe, especially if you stop every so often to let the rats out and offer them food and water.

You can also supply the boys with carrots and celery while they are in the carrier, which will both give them something to gnaw and also eliminate the need for a water dish inside the carrier.  Broccoli has less moisture but is good to gnaw on, and cherry tomatoes will provide additional water.  My rats love to chew on uncooked pasta and Mighty Bone Minis dog treats, which are both dry but fun to chew.  So you have plenty of possibilities for keeping them occupied and out of trouble.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n