Author Topic: Lost a Tooth!  (Read 327 times)

Offline ecaus18

Lost a Tooth!
« on: May 04, 2017, 02:22:23 PM »
Long time, no post. My boys Chip and Stew have been little rattie rockstars, healthy as can be since Chip recovered from his URI as a baby.
Yesterday I was playing with Chip and I noticed his top two incisors seemed just a bit longer than normal, and upon further investigation they were also pointed slightly (in the middle kinda like fangs). I decided that it didnt seem to be an emergency and that I would keep an close eye on it until I could take him to the vet next week to get it looked at.
Well this morning I took him out and gave his teeth a look.... and one of his bottom incisors is missing! Im not sure when it happened, as Im almost positive it was there yesterday.... But when i was looking at it today its gone!
There is no sign of trauma or infection so far. When I looked closer, down at the gum there is what appears to be a rounded remnant of the tooth. it looks like a little tooth colored orb. Im going to give the vet a call tomorrow (its not bothering him at all and hes stilling eating fine) since i couldnt take him tonight because of work.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Looking for what to expect/do for the little guy.
Even though eating doesnt seem to bother him Im going to put some softer foods in for him before I leave for work tonight

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Lost a Tooth!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
You or the vet may have to trim the tooth that is missing its opposite number.  Rats (as you probably know, but it bears repeating for any newbies) can grind their teeth together to keep them worn down, but since the root never stops growing, the tooth that has nothing to grind against will have nothing to keep it worn down.  As you can imagine, this can become quite a problem for the poor rat.

The good news is that if the root is still alive, the missing incisor will grow out again, so you will be able to stop trimming the opposite incisor once it does.  But sometimes the kind of trauma you describe can kill the root (or possibly the incisor broke because something has affected the root), in which case you will have to keep trimming the other incisor indefinitely.  The vet can tell you whether the root looks healthy or not and can also teach you how to do the trimming yourself, so you won't have to spend so much money on repeated vet visits.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n