Author Topic: Lady rat biting cagemate  (Read 724 times)

Offline happybat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Lady rat biting cagemate
« on: May 06, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
Hi!

I have two female rats just coming up for a year old, one of whom, Ashe, is a nervous squishy dumbo - not that active, very into nest making, terribly timid but ok with humans who let her take her time. She also has a very weak bite. She's my first dumbo and I wondered if that was a characteristic of the malformed skull? The other is a skinny active top ear called Thorne who is bold as brass and who races and plays like a three month year old - in fact, possibly even MORE than when she was three months old. She is a wheel runner, fit as a flea, with a normal bite strength.

For the second time, I have found a bite mark and scabs on Ashe's shoulder. I'd hate to separate, but should I be considering it?

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Lady rat biting cagemate
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 08:23:42 AM »
I have more than once assumed I was seeing bite scabs when the problem was actually mites.  I've gotten to the point of dosing the rats with Revolution first, then worrying about bites only if the scabs don't go away within a few days.  I suspect that if you were really seeing bite marks, you would already be aware of serious discord in the cage, so I urge you to try Revolution before worrying about anything else.  My guess is that the scabs will clear up within the week.  Do keep us posted, especially if I turn out to be wrong.  If your girls don't have mites, dosing them with Revolution will do them no harm.  But I really respect it to solve the problem.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline happybat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 04:45:03 PM »
Thanks! I will try that and hope...

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »
Remember that one dude can treat several rats.  Sometimes the vet office will try to sell you one dose per rat, which is ridiculous, and very expensive.  For two rats, even a kitten dose will be plenty.  One drop between the shoulder blades is all it takes.

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
Remember that one dude can treat several rats.  Sometimes the vet office will try to sell you one dose per rat, which is ridiculous, and very expensive.  For two rats, even a kitten dose will be plenty.  One drop between the shoulder blades is all it takes.

He means "one tube".  Autocorrect  :wave2:
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline happybat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 05:29:55 PM »
Hello!

After watching today's performance, which was certificated 18 for mounting and violence, I am probably leaning back to the beating each other up theory. Surprisingly, today at least, Ashe was 100% the instigator, the chaser and definitely the one interested in mounting. No bleeding though, although Ashe had a most alarming chunk of fur in her mouth when I intervened (short time out to let the hormones die down, then a long session of out time and play to distract everyone. It did very little good, and they are back to squabbling)

Rats are complicated!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »
Sorry the situation wasn't as simple as I was hoping.  Oh, well.  Good luck figuring out how to deal with this.  Sometimes separation is the only solution, other times, you can get past it.  Spaying doesn't calm down does as well as castration does bucks, but it might be worth a try, if you can afford it.  Some people here on GM have recommended it.  Perhaps one of our senior experts will see this thread and offer some advice.

. . . Rats are complicated!

Amen to that!

Offline happybat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 06:51:07 PM »
Two days of peace! I am rashly and prematurely hoping it was just a phase and they will go back to normal....