Author Topic: Luxury Rat Home  (Read 1055 times)

Offline RattyRodent

Luxury Rat Home
« on: May 21, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »
The wife and I just adopted three large male rats (two are one year old, the third eight months). We put them in the All Living Things Luxury Rat Home which our much smaller female rats were quite comfortable in. Do you think this model is acceptable for three large males? - Unfortunately the image won't upload.

Offline RattyRodent

Re: Luxury Rat Home
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:26:14 PM »
Measurements - 28.5"L x 17.5"W x 31.5"H

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:12:50 AM »
I've heard varying opinions on cage size regarding males v. females. Some say that males need bigger cages because they're physically larger than ladies but others say that females need bigger cages because they're more active than lazy boys. I think that determining the appropriate cage size comes down to how well the space is utilized mixed with a little bit of intuition.

Cage calculators will tell you that three is fine given the dimensions of the cage. You should get a sense of whether or not it works in practice after seeing the boys living in the space. If it seems like they're tripping over each other, you might be able to find ways to better use the cubic footage. If the cage layout has been exhausted but it still seems a bit crammed, maybe a bigger cage is in order.

I don't have any experience with this cage but it looks very nice. I'm sure that those who have experience with this cage will have better advice but I guess I'm just suggesting that you trust your gut.

Offline purple rat

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:47:17 AM »
I've always had big squishy males and I love them -- congRATulations  on adopting yours  :thumbsup2:.  The All Living Things cage worked well for me while I only had two males, but when I added a third it seemed to be too cramped.  I bought the Martins 695 and it's been great.
Good luck with the ratties!
proud mama of Spock, Merlin & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley. Goober

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 11:25:05 PM »
CongRATulations on your new additions!  :thumbsup2:

I don't know the All Living Things cage, but the Martin's R-695 that purple rat suggests would be great for three boys.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n